Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
RE: Gobert

Just a couple observations about things I don't understand about the energy of people against Gobert (seems to be an extreme overreaction):

1) The Mavs defense this year was BAD, especially in the clutch, both on the perimeter AND in the interior (3s and layups killed the Mavs). The Mavs do NOT have a clear path to improve perimeter D unless Jrue is made available for the right price. You can improve D in one of two ways: get better on the perimeter (stopping 3s) or get better around the basket (stopping the layup drill). Adding Gobert makes you even better at defending the basket. Sure the perimeter D will have its weaknesses (like it already has, no change there!), but there will never be a layup line with Gobert/KP in the game. Teams will have to shoot from outside and that may beat the Mavs (but at least points in the paint and layups will not beat them). Even if Gobert or KP gets switched to the perimeter they always have the other one to back them up. This is NOT like it ever was in UTA in the playoffs. Gobert would get switched out and then UTA became a terrible defensive team with no rim protection. That will not happen with KP/Gobert.

2) The Mavs offense would NOT suffer with Gobert. He has been an offensive positive when he is the one guy who cannot spread the floor. THIS would be the case in DAL with KP spreading the floor as the PF on offense. If Gobert continues to grow as a rim runner next to Luka, then the Mavs offense could take a step forward (since DP was a loss in that regard, and the Mavs didn't have a crunch rim runner threat anymore). 

SUMMARY: I think the Mavs interior (point in paint) D improves with Gobert significantly. I think the perimeter D stays the same (being a weakness still). I think the O improves once there is chemistry and familiarity built. Therefore, I think the team takes a good, positive, and significant step forward with a Gobert acquisition. The single "issue" is that your perimeter D does not improve, but I would argue that there are VERY few moves where the perimeter D actually improves this offseason anyway.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart | $109.1M cap - by Kammrath - 11-06-2020, 08:02 AM