Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-06-2020, 03:20 AM)Mapka Wrote: @omahen or any other supporter of a Tobis Harris trade.
I will ignore his contract. It's just a nightmare and will be gone the moment we trade for him. 

So please tell me what kind of role will he play in our offense or defense.
If I think about it, I see the following:

Can't see him roll or just screen at a good enough level. 
Can't imaging any playmaking, that would benefit us. 
His spacing isn't good enough to make him a starter over any other player on our roster (Wright is gone here). 
Are we going to play him as a post-up guy? 

He won't guard any 1-3 on the perimeter. He won't be the 5. 
We tend to avoid to switch the small guards, but we are switching or blitzing Powell and Kleber often. 
I have no idea how Tobi would work in a zone.
I see him on every player I'd like to hide Luka on. 
He would help on Zion, LeBron, Randle.

As for offense, we play him spreading the floor with occasional post up. Even in his last season, which was a bit worse, he was very efficient. He was shooting 44 % on corner threes and 36 % overall on 5 attempts per game, so he is far from a bad shooter. And it is quite safe to say his looks will be better with Mavs than they were with Philly. This proves to me he can very efficiently spread the floor. He took 22 % of his shots at the rim and converted 66 % which is both good. He is taking a bit more mid range jumpers, but I am quite sure this will change with Mavs as they will be further pushing him out on the three point line.

Defensively, he is guarding big SF or PF. I don't think we need to hide him on defense. Luka can take worst opponent on positions 1-3.

(11-06-2020, 03:59 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: and the current one allegedly looking to get rid, too

Where did you see that? The current team gave him his great contract, which is overpay. I never saw they actually want to get rid of him. It was purely fan speculation because of his contract. It is not his fault they gave him the max instead of Butler. Be aware 2019 situation a lot of guys got max but are not really max players. Situation that can easily happen again in 2021.

(11-06-2020, 03:59 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Gobert, DeRozan, Drummond, LMA, OPJ or Hayward

All of these require matching contracts. Not to mention the assets needed to get them. So a big price to pay for couple of months rental. Even worse than trading for them in this offseason. Half of them (Drummond, LMA, DeRozan, Gobert) I wouldn't touch.

(11-06-2020, 03:59 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Markkanen, Isaac, Collins, Allen, Anunoby, Ball, Fultz, Trent Jr., Kennard, Nunn, Robinson, Kuzma, Bonga, Ferguson, Ntilikina

I agree with the principle, but I don't think Markkanen fits on this team as he is poor mans KP. Isaac would be great, but is even bigger injury risk than KP and Orlando will demand a fortune for him. Atlanta will demand even bigger fortune for Collins due to his inflated numbers. Anunoby would be a nice role player in the Covington mould, but I think Toronto would match every reasonable offer and it is not reasonable to offer him north of 20 per (Toronto is not selling unless you offer a fortune). Trent and Robinson are in same category. Ball, Fultz are overrated and bad fit on Mavs imho. Kuzma, Bonga, Ferguson, Ntilikina, Allen are average and should not cost more than MLE level (half of them not more than half of MLE). This leaves Kennard, which I think can be traded for and could be nice, but is far from a third star. White, that you didn't mention, could be a nice fit, if SA wouldn't see Murray/White pairing as a long term solution. He would be my favorite in the class, but it is still a question, if he can be that third "star".

OPJ - if we like him so much. Why not offer him something in the range of 80/4 and SnT him from Bulls? It makes more sense than trading for his expiring 27 mil. We can help them by taking some of their bad money like Young or Sato.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 21?) + Salary Chart | $109.1M cap - by omahen - 11-06-2020, 04:15 AM