Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-05-2020, 05:59 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: IF you're bound and determined to close ANY door to cap flexibility for the sake of "do something NOW" then the deal I'd make is Buddy Hield. He's attainable for what they have (if he's being shopped at all), he fits into the predefined role THJ was in last season, only he expands on it significantly. He has an edge to his personality that the team could use, imo. His age is in line with the team's timetable. 

I first started kicking this around as a lark a couple of months back, but the more I think about it, the more I love it. I think Hield, on a good team where he actually got good looks, would be LETHAL.

Yep. I've been backing you up all along the way. 
I actually don't think Hield locks you up financially. If you can get Powell and Wright outgoing in a trade this year, Kleber and Curry are easily movable to get the max slot for Giannis if needed next year. It's a declining contract by 2 mill a year. Love those type of deals. 

Paul and Griffin are probably the only other players that you'll need 30+ mill for if they opt out in FA. That's solely because of what they are making now... They won't opt out and take massive payouts.

Really a trade for Hield is basically a long term extension for THJ on a team friendly deal.

(11-05-2020, 06:20 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 06:14 PM)Oman Wrote: Hield is similarly overpaid as Harris. He is only a year younger. He is a big negative on defense not to mention all the attitude questions. He might slightly improve our team on offense but kills 2021 flexibility same way as Harris. Plus he might be more expensive to get. I don't get the logic in this direct comparison Hield-Harris.

Hield's extension starts next season at roughly $24 million and DECLINES for the next three, ending with him paid less than THJ made this season. He can handle the ball, is an elite shooter, and I believe he'd improve here.

Tobias Funke's deal will have him paid for the exact same length of time, only next year's total is $33 million, and the last year, when Hield is set to cost $18 million, Tobias will cost $40 million. He can't handle the ball, really, and will be very close to the exact same player here he was in Philly or LA. We know what he looks like on a good team, and it's a fit here, but very underwhelming.

Also following some of that logic with Harris... We've seen THJ on a bad team and on a good team here. 
We've only seen Buddy on a bad team. And he's better than THJ on a bad team. If good teams make good players even better, Hield would likely be a steal. 

Also the bad attitude narrative is a really bad one. You'll find nothing but positive stuff from everyone around him at OU. He's frustrated in Sacramento like countless players over the years. The Kings are the Browns of the NBA lol.

(11-05-2020, 09:46 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/TomMoorePhilly/statu...3220618240

https://twitter.com/TomMoorePhilly/statu...1966957568

Doh! I always forget base year compensation rules. I miss Dlord giving us the reminders!
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 21?) + Salary Chart | Season (Dec 22? 72 gms?) - by cjeter24 - 11-05-2020, 10:56 PM