Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-05-2020, 09:57 PM)SweetFidelia Wrote: Ok.  I'm still giggling about the "terrible opinion stick," so thanks, KL.  Unfortunately, I read the whole post, so I have a feeling you'll think I got hit with it, too.

I'll believe the Mavs don't have to overpay when I see it.  I'll believe they can draw big-time free agents when I see it.  Does Luka change that?  I'll believe that when I see it.  Right now, it's all talk.  I believe powder is a myth and so is flexibility.  The Heat had 13 players under contract due $141 million for the 19-20 season.  They were over the hard cap by almost $9M. The Miami Herald stated the Heat "are not in a position to aggressively pursue free agents."  If a player wants on a team, it will happen.  Ergo, I believe in acquiring as many good players as humanly possible any way you can and letting the chips fall where they may.  Last off-season, the Mavs crapped their pants, turned around, walked through the puddle of poo that ran down their leg, and slipped and fell down in it face first.  I don't know why for sure, but I think the management grossly underestimated the power of Luka.  The only other option is gross incompetence, and that is not something I want to believe.  They could have gotten players that would have made a difference.  Players that make them better now or could be used to get even better players down the road.  That's how it works, and I hear the cries about Big Don's mad science, but he tried like hell to keep making the team better.  Luka is here now.  We can and should get better now.  Screw 2021.  Find 2 or 3 dudes that put Powell, Kleber, and/or DFS back on the 2nd unit.  Draft 'em; trade for 'em.  I don't care.  Get it done.

Just like Jimmy Butler, Giannis will be on whatever team he wants to be 100% regardless of the Mavs powder and flexibility.  I say you better put your best foot forward.  Now get off my lawn.

The approach from when Nash/Dirk were young didn't work. They only got one championship out of it, and once they let Nash walk, Dirk never played with another all star again. I know there's comfort in what we have known before, but that was a BAD, BAD way of doing business. The goal should be to avoid repeating that process this time around at all costs. 

I'm not saying I definitely don't think they'll have to overpay to get different players, I'm saying I'd rather them not get different players than overpay for them. Big difference. I am more than fine with running back almost the same team next year, waiting for another no-brainer of an opportunity to come along. I'm not fine with moves that drastically reduce flexibility (to the point where you're locked into one kind of team building) unless they make the team way, way better.  

I remain hopeful that the Mavs have learned some things over the past 20 years, even if the community here has not.

For what it's worth, these guys believe that Holiday ends up either in Brooklyn, Miami, Indiana or Dallas!

https://theathletic.com/2182184/2020/11/...-pelicans/

[b]Brooklyn Nets: Strong chance[/b]
Since Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving arrived in Brooklyn last summer, speculation hasn’t stopped about the team adding a potential third star to put it over the top. You might not find a better fit than Holiday. As an elite defender, he would be a welcomed addition to a team starved for lockdown defenders, and his ability to play off the ball makes him a logical fit alongside Irving and Durant. Spencer Dinwiddie, Jarrett Allen, Caris LeVert and Taurean Prince are the Nets’ best trade assets, and some combination of the two along with one or two first-round picks could get the deal done. The Nets will likely try to keep LeVert out of any trade talks that they can, but he is another talented young player Pelicans executive vice president David Griffin could put in a core that includes Zion Williamson, Brandon Ingram and Lonzo Ball. Pelicans assistant general manager Trajan Langdon came to New Orleans after serving under Sean Marks in Brooklyn, giving the Pelicans some insight into the Nets’ situation.
[b]— Alex Schiffer[/b]

[b][b][b]Dallas Mavericks: Strong chance[/b][/b][/b]
Can you imagine a backcourt of Luka Doncic and Jrue Holiday? This is one of the deals I want to see the most when it comes to Holiday possibly landing on a new team. The Mavericks need a third guy like this, and he’s the exact type of playmaker on both ends of the floor. I don’t know what a deal looks like here, but it might have to include someone like Tim Hardaway Jr. (if he exercises his player option) and Seth Curry. Mavs fans may bristle at this, but THJ gives cap relief a year earlier and Curry gives the Pelicans some real value in return. Mavs owe two future picks to the Knicks, so finding future picks in a trade package could be tough. I’d say the Mavs getting involved in talks is highly likely.
[b][b][b]— Zach Harper[/b]
[/b][/b]

[b][b][b][b][b]Miami Heat: Strong chance[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]
Of all the teams vying for Holiday’s services, Miami is among the obvious favorites because of one person: Tyler Herro. After the display he put on in the bubble, Herro has become one of the more interesting prospects in the league because of his shotmaking and brash confidence. He wouldn’t be able to check off as many boxes as Holiday does, but Herro would be the exact kind of 3-point sniper New Orleans needs to give Zion and Ingram the space they need on the floor. If they throw in a role player like Kelly Olynyk and maybe one future pick, it would seem like an ideal trade for the Pelicans. But is Miami willing to give up on Herro after the huge part he played in its run to the NBA Finals? Holiday’s defense and experience would obviously provide an immediate upgrade for Miami at the two-guard position, and he would fit seamlessly into #HeatCulture. The viability of this deal will mostly be centered around Miami’s willingness to pass on Herro’s potential for a chance at a run with Holiday, Bam Adebayo  and Jimmy Butler as the cornerstones of the franchise.
[b][b][b][b][b]— Will Guillory[/b]
[/b][/b]
[/b][/b]

[b][b][b][b][b][b][b]Indiana Pacers: Strong chance[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]
Reuniting the Holiday brothers is the type of feel-good story we can all get behind, and going after Jrue would make some sense for Indiana if it believes Victor Oladipo is ready to go elsewhere. Jrue also knows the city well since his wife, Lauren, grew up in Indianapolis before she became a two-time gold medalist with the U.S. women’s national soccer team. Making Myles Turner the centerpiece of a Holiday trade would also make sense for both teams. Turner’s shot-blocking and 3-point range would fit perfectly next to Zion, and he’s already under contract for the next three seasons at about $18 million per year. The Pelicans may have hopes of landing a better prospect than Turner if they do move Holiday, but I’d expect the Pacers to be involved in this process throughout.
[b][b][b][b][b][b][b]— Will Guillory[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 21?) + Salary Chart | Season (Dec 22? 72 gms?) - by KillerLeft - 11-05-2020, 10:27 PM