Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-05-2020, 06:33 PM)omahen Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 06:21 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I believe that Gobert and Dipo hurt the Mavs moving forward because 1) they won't stay with the Mavs when their contracts expire unless we pay them more than they're worth, and 2) if we pay them more than they're worth, then we destroy flexibility for several years. No thanks on both. I don't think that all 2021 free agents are like that, but I think those two will be. Visions of psychotic grandiosity.

As I think Kawhi and George being free agents in 2021 are dreams, I think any third star we want to get we will have to overpay. Either in assets, salary or both. But as Dan already explained nicely a couple of pages back - Cuban's wallet will be the only thing affected by this overpay.

......because there's evidently no such thing as a salary cap that affects future team-building.

(11-05-2020, 07:59 PM)omahen Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 07:40 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think most of suggested that the Mavs get more out of a potential Harris trade. Personally I think

Harris + Thybull + 21 --> Wright + Powell + THJ

Personally I think this trade is a no go for Philly. They would get rid of Harris contract, but get much worse. We can see money is not a problem as they reportedly paid Morey 10 mil per season. Besides I think you are putting too high price. If you like Harris the player, you will survive without that additional pick. If you don't, you shouldn't be trading for him in the first place.

Why I think it is not good for them from player perspective. THJ plays on Richardson position, Powell duplicates with Horford, Wright is meh. Because they pay assets to Dallas they basically lose the ability to get rid of Horford (altough perhaps someone like Charlotte would take his veteran leadership for Philly 2020 picks), who is much bigger pain for them than Harris. I think Kleber+Curry+Powell would make more sense for them. From Dallas perspective I think it makes more sense to keep THJ as starting SG and look to replace Curry and Kleber from draft and MLE, which should be more easy to do than find a starting SG.

(11-05-2020, 07:40 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Thybull

As far as assets go, I think he is a huge one. Philly really nailed this pick as he has all the potential to become Covington level type of player very soon.

Holy crap, Omahen, how much is Morey paying you?

If Harris is available for our crap + two or three assets, then the Mavs could conceivably consider it. If not, then absolutely no deal. If a less generous deal doesn't work for Philly and Morey, tfb.

The reason I'm out on Harris except as an extreme last resort is quite simple:
1) KP's health makes him shaky as a 2nd star, so the ideal is to get a 3rd guy whose health + his game adds up to a better player than KP. I'm not saying we have to get a guy better than KP, but rather that he has to be a suitable Robin for Luka in the event that KP goes down in the playoffs again. Harris is not that.
2) The alternative to getting that one guy is to assemble significant talent that adds up to similar quality - i.e., much better talent than the Mavs have surrounding Luka and KP right now. That means cheap players who are very good on rookie deals, MLE or partial MLE guys who are not overpaid, trading for players who aren't overpaid, etc. making future movement simple. If you get to a point where a guy who is overpaid puts you over the top, then you can do that - after your non-Luka/KP talent chest is about quantitatively double what it is now. Harris shuts down nearly all future movement with extreme prematurity. The assets we got with him would have to be so substantial as to make up for what we could not get because he's on the roster.

I also agree with KL and others and not with you that the Mavs will never have to pay guys Parsons/Matthews/Barnes contracts with Luka on roster. I simply think you're wrong on that. Don't look at the Luka-less past.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 21?) + Salary Chart | Season (Dec 22? 72 gms?) - by Scott41theMavs - 11-05-2020, 08:02 PM