Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-05-2020, 01:30 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 01:24 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 11:27 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I just want to express my dismay 1) at the amount of Jrue sour grapesing going on here (yeah, we're not getting him, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be a fantastic fit), and 2) the idea of us getting Gobert. Unless the Pels also want to give us their pick, Ingram snt, and either Jrue or Ball for KP. And I'd probably need more than that.

I'm might be missing something pal, which statements constitute sour grapes? Is it the "we're not getting him"? Just curious.

Regarding Jrue and Gobert, both, what I think is happening is that day-of posters drove the opinion in one direction, and made it appear that there was a statistical concencus on the forum. Some even "called" the forum opinion outcome because of this. But then mail-in posts arrived and got counted later than the day-of posts, which has made the forum opinion race tighten. Some posters cried fraud at this tightening of the forum opinion race, but really it's just the natural consequence of batches of posts arriving and being counted later.

#AllOpinionsCounted

No, it wasn't the "we're not getting him" issue, it was the denunciation of his value as a player, which was pretty absurd, tbqh.

This seems directed at me since I'm the only one seemingly questioning Jrue's value. It's quite the opposite of sour grapes because we can't get him. I'm suggesting the perceived value here is not accurate and I laid out my entire thought process as to why. FWIW I've been saying this offline to a friend I talk Mavs with everyday. I have months of receipts if I need to prove it. I've been confident for a long time now that Pelicans are going to explore a Jrue trade and I've said the market is going to be less than you'd think. I mean its not even that strong of a call he would be on the market. It's been speculated for the last year.

The thesis is simple. Mavs will be in the market with 4 or 5 teams and if others teams don't offer their best deals (and I don't believe they will) Mavs offer will be in the same range as everyone else. That is if they are willing to make that offer. And that's a huge IF IMO. I'm probably about 40% against the idea of trading for Jrue without a new contract because it exhausts all of your assets for the next few years. It's incredibly risky and you could wind up with a disaster of a trade. So often trades 2 years later look really really bad for one side. I worry this could be one of them. Same for Dipo btw.

Dipo FWIW has 2x as many all star appearances, the same NBA all defensive 1st team, and has made an All NBA first team. And similar 3pt percentage. Obviously the injury brings his value down. But Dipo pre injury was a better NBA player than Jrue. If teams are going to gamble a bit on trading for Jrue. I could also see someone scoffing at the high demand for Jrue and making a play at Dipo instead. Again expiring contract. It may take a max to keep him as well. It may not. Again there is risk.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 21?) + Salary Chart | Season (Dec 22? 72 gms?) - by cjeter24 - 11-05-2020, 01:52 PM