Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-03-2020, 06:19 AM)Mapka Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 03:36 AM)omahen Wrote: I agree in general. I am not pushing to trade because of a trade itself. All the trades I propose are making us better imho. But I am trying to put realistic price it would take to get players. And here we quickly find out every trade idea we have on the table in this forum is in the end rejected, because you don't want to give up ANYTHING to make a deal. You say you'd do Hayward if the price is reasonable. Well, "reasonable" is Curry and Kleber, because Boston will not take Wright and Powell and you have to switch salary to trade for him. "Reasonable" is dumping Wright, Powell and Jackson to create cap space, which of course would cost several draft picks. And then all of these are show stoppers for you. So the only conclusion I can take is, that (other some minor tweaks) the only acceptable scenario for you is waiting for Giannis pipedream. 

First thing. I really enjoy your trade proposals. They are on on the edge of being reasonable. They give me perspective. They give me something to think about. That´s fun.

But you are playing the advocatus diaboli for us. You are chosing a trade target and then use the POV of the other team to find a price they like.

Normally that is just the point we say: ok, that is to much. 

So, only homer-based trades need apply?  

I feel similarly to Omahen.  As a generalization, the board tends to focus on the warts of incoming players and completely ignores those kinds of issues with the players being sent out.  "We" think one more season with Luka will fix this or that, but rarely credit the benefit of playing with Luka that will accrue to the incoming player.

It might help to have a discernible standard to work from.  The recent Top 125 series by The Athletic doesn't take salary or fit into account, but it is at least a standard to work from.  They rated Curry, Maxi and THJ in the 116-125 range.  The board seems to have coalesced recently around Gallinari, Hayward, Harris, Dipo and OPJ as trade targets.  Gallo is the 41st rated player.  Hayward is 49, Harris is 60, Dipo is 61 and an injured OPJ is 76.  So, what should it cost to get the 41st best player in the league?  Does 125 + 121 do it?  Do you have to add a pick?  We need a value chart (like pick 18 + pick 31 equals Pick 14).  

I realize the real world doesn't work like this.  Salary and fit and age matter.  But Maxi is a nice 5th/6th man who is a little above average and a little above Replacement Value.  If you have a shot at a 3rd starter (even an overpaid one), you give up a 5th/6th guy all the time.  You can find another Maxi.  Finding a Gallo or Hayward or Harris is much harder to do.

Edit:  I spent some time reading up on Hayward rumors.  Man, there are a bunch of teams out there seemingly interested in him.  He'd have to really want to come here and Boston (Stevens) would have to be willing to "do right" by Hayward to get him here.  One technique we (the board) seem to routinely forget is the possibility of an Extend-and-Trade.  But, even with that there will be a ton of teams willing to play along.

I personally think Gallo might be the easier get.  He's totally free and him taking a one year MLE deal is much more credible than Hayward opting out.  OKC doesn't totally control the situation and a "fair" trade isn't required.  We just have to give them something more valuable than letting Gallo walk for nothing.  But, that value can't have a negative value contract.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 21?) + Salary Chart | Season (Dec 22? 72 gms?) - by DanSchwartzgan - 11-03-2020, 08:22 AM