Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-03-2020, 03:36 AM)omahen Wrote: I agree in general. I am not pushing to trade because of a trade itself. All the trades I propose are making us better imho. But I am trying to put realistic price it would take to get players. And here we quickly find out every trade idea we have on the table in this forum is in the end rejected, because you don't want to give up ANYTHING to make a deal. You say you'd do Hayward if the price is reasonable. Well, "reasonable" is Curry and Kleber, because Boston will not take Wright and Powell and you have to switch salary to trade for him. "Reasonable" is dumping Wright, Powell and Jackson to create cap space, which of course would cost several draft picks. And then all of these are show stoppers for you. So the only conclusion I can take is, that (other some minor tweaks) the only acceptable scenario for you is waiting for Giannis pipedream. 

First thing. I really enjoy your trade proposals. They are on on the edge of being reasonable. They give me perspective. They give me something to think about. That´s fun.

But you are playing the advocatus diaboli for us. You are chosing a trade target and then use the POV of the other team to find a price they like.

Normally that is just the point we say: ok, that is to much.

(11-03-2020, 03:36 AM)omahen Wrote: You are right we have two offseasons to build a team. But time is also ticking away and all options are theoretical. If you have one option on the table, you can reject it and wait for another or you can accept it. But number of possibilities will shrink as time will go by and you will be rejecting offers. Everything you are writing is leading me to believe, your plan is actually plan Giannis. Because you would do something else only if it would be an offer impossible to reject. An offer that is highly unlikely to appear. So I really wish you good luck, if Giannis says no. I think in this case you will be ovepaing average players in 2021 FA just to get something. All of a sudden you would be pressed to offer "max contract to Hayward" because there will be no one else around and because 5 other "loosers" with cap space will be competing for him. Just like Mavs did in all those years after 2011. 

You say the possibilities are going to shrink. And this is true, but also for every other player. If the time is ticking desperation will pile up.
We are in a comfortable position. We will be compete for the 4-8 rang as we are constructed now with minor tweeks. Our point of desperation will not occur befor next FA. Until then - or if we know we will fail there, we are looking for trades with the things we are fine giving up or trades we win because something else than player value press a price.

(11-03-2020, 03:36 AM)omahen Wrote: For once, I would really like to hear a reasonable trade you WOULD do. Not just put limits to players you think are interesting that the other team would never found acceptable.

I´d swap Cory Joseph for Wright. Saves them some cash. We are both not happy about their performances. But that is a trade if nothing else is possible.

I think there will be a trade we can win in player value, because there will be other aspects to other teams. Could be money or an expiring contract, a trade wish, could be an injury or just any player underperforming on his current team.

Another point is most trades are kinda "fair" both teams are swapping players to gain by better fit.
At this point all our pieces are fitting, except Wright. And if we propose him in a trade you use his surpressed value on our side but the expected value for the player coming in.

This said please keep up. I appreciate your creativity and effort.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 21?) + Salary Chart | Season (Dec 22? 72 gms?) - by Mapka - 11-03-2020, 06:19 AM