Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-02-2020, 10:37 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: So @"omahen" I think you're making a really valid point. To make moves that bring good things onto the roster, you'll almost always have to give up some things, and usually they are things you'd prefer not to give up. You're absolutely right about that. We all draw those lines differently based on our own perceptions, but in general, fans tend to overvalue their teams' players. 

But, I'll restate what I was saying the first week I found this place: I believe the Mavs are in the rare situation where they don't have to do anything unless they think it's a good idea. They could conceivably bring this entire team back and expect improvement because the entire core just got a huge dose of experience all at once. Every team gets better the longer they play together, but in the Mavs' case, that effect is compounded by the fact that almost all of them were playoff virgins. I fully expect them to understand the "why" of things more during the regular season this time around when there's time to get reps. They'll understand more clearly what they're working towards, and consequently, I believe they'll be more ready when the playoffs come back around. 

And honestly, I think there's a chance that a large amount of continuity is their BEST chance to improve, given the fast turnaround, shortened camp and condensed season. But that's a separate conversation than the one you're having about value.

Anyway, despite my thinking on the above, there IS a level of risk I could be enticed into taking. I'd do Hayward, if the price tag and swap is reasonable, for example. I'd do OPJ if Hardaway wasn't outgoing. Etc, etc. But, the team's arrow is pointing up, the cap is in great shape, and you've got a lot of potential over the next 12 months to find a home run of a deal, or a triple, or at least an off the wall double. Those possibilities, as a one-time, temporary fall back, would make me feel justified in being extra cautious in the short term. I think one version of them winning the transaction game this off-season (and again, ONLY this off-season) is to simply not LOSE the transaction game.

Great post.  This was a much more elegant way of saying what I've been mulling over today.  We have a beautiful opportunity tree in front of us.  Just don't hack it to bits this offseason.  Be opportunistic, but remain flexible - unless that moment comes to lock in the final answer.  This next 2 years of transactions could mean the difference between being a contender and being THE contender for the foreseeable future.  Just don't mess it up.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 21?) + Salary Chart | Season (Dec 22? 72 gms?) - by Mavsfan12 - 11-03-2020, 01:08 AM