Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-02-2020, 07:42 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: John Hollinger at The Athletic has a series out this week on Free Agents.  He's combining PIPM, Raptor and PER on a weighted multi-year basis to come up with a single rating and then applying 20/21 dollars to that rating.  Luka as a free agent, for instance, would be the second most valuable player in the league and worth a contract of $55 million per (the metric is age based).  Gallinari is worth $19mm (he was named in the piece explaining the metric).  Hollinger thinks there will be a larger than normal number of one year deals this time around.

Today he started with PG's.  VanVleet is at the top of a thin class at $22mm.  Dragic is a hair above MLE at $11.5mm.  One of the bigger surprises (to me) was Burke at $7mm one spot ahead of Reggie Jackson at $6.4mm.  He had Jevon Carter (a player I like here) at $5.3mm and mentions Dallas would be a good situation for his skill set.  Barea and Yogi are down in the $3mm range.  I assume Dunn will be in tomorow's piece on SG's.

Here is what he wrote about Burke:

Tier 4: Less than MLE, more than minimum

Trey Burke $7,131,892

A replacement player in Dallas after Philadelphia inexplicably cut him, Burke isn’t for everybody — he’s small, he’s going to pound the ball a bit, and he’ll take a lot of long 2s. (This story comes up a lot in this free-agent guard market).

Nonetheless, he’s a good choice for a second unit that has limited shot creation, or as a third point guard to step up in case of injury. Burke’s 42.7 percent 3-point shooting last season is likely a fluke, as it’s a major outlier from the rest of his career, but the other numbers are not. He scores 23.7 points per 100 for his career with a 14.1 PER, and although he’s small he’s not a horrific defender. There’s a place for him in a rotation someplace.

https://theathletic.com/2166277/2020/11/...thin-herd/

Thanks for sharing this!

Please keep bringing highlights here please. I am super intrigued about balancing those three advanced stats and seeing the outcomes.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 21?) + Salary Chart | Season (Dec 22? 72 gms?) - by Kammrath - 11-02-2020, 10:18 AM