Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-02-2020, 12:43 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(11-02-2020, 12:16 AM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-02-2020, 12:08 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Signing or trading for longterm contracts doesn´t mean that they won´t go after Giannis next year. 

Harris would mean they couldn't do that, and so many other things.

Why? Miami needed to create more than 30 mio in caproom to sign Butler and they had no problem. Same for the Warriors when they signed KD.
Would it require some assets to get rid of him if he doesn´t improve compared to the last season? Yes. Is it impossible? No.
Let´s say Harris has a solid season and scores 18-20ppg/ shoots 38-40% from 3. That´s basically what he did in 2018 and 2019. He still has negative value because that´s not worth a max deal but add a few picks or good value contracts (Maxi, Seth, DFS) and the Mavs could easily do it.

Personally I am not a fan of Harris as a player and just used him as an example for any longterm deal that might be available. Whatever Donnie and Cuban did in the last few years has changed the way we think. Based on Donnies/Marks history they won´t do it but we as the fans can at least acknowledge that other options exist and teams don´t need a max slot to sign a big free agent as long as they are creative and smart.

IIRC, neither team had to clear actual capspace in those scenarios (at least not on a large scale).  Mia did a SnT for butler (sending out richardson/Whiteside at least), and GSW benefitted from a massive spike in the salary cap to fit in Durant.  I believe that they had to dump Bogut (to us!).   So, if your point is that we can acquire players, and then have to rely on other teams taking those players for us to get GA from the Bucks?  I think the Bucks are less likely to play ball there.  Dunno.  He is one of a couple of players that will be available in the exact time frame that we need, and I want the Mavs to be ready with open arms (Luka/KP's arms), salary space, and a jersey with his name on it.  I'd also like to have some nice role players here to fill out the roster so that he sees that he is coming to a team, not a skeleton project.  This is what Luka's rookie deal is buying us.  Let's Go Mavs!!!

(11-02-2020, 12:52 AM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-02-2020, 12:43 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Why? Miami needed to create more than 30 mio in caproom to sign Butler and they had no problem. Same for the Warriors when they signed KD.

Iguodala was a core player in GS, still playing very well and not all that overpaid, if memory serves. They STILL had to include a very lightly protected first rounder to move him. How many of those will the Mavs have to trade next year? 

Miami signed and traded Josh Richardson for Butler, a player who Philly had convinced themselves was more trouble than he was worth. Which up and coming young player do the Mavs have who will be of equal or close value to a max free agent? 

I'm not arguing your GENERAL point, but it's EXTREMELY naive to think anyone would be stupid enough to take Harris without compensation. Thanks be to God our Lord, I'm pretty sure that includes Dallas Mavericks.

If you find yourself arguing in favor of a Tobias Harris trade by saying things like "they can move him later if they need to" you have officially lost perspective on the off-season. 

Harris does not make them a contender. He's a nice player, but he's one of the last truly awful contracts in the NBA and a time when they're in the middle of negotiating a new CBA because of a very shaky revenue situation league wide, that's just not a move you consider. Not to mention the fact that your best players are 21 and 26. Literally, a better outcome would be Donnie's phone service getting cut off so that he can't make one, single move.

They didn't even have to trade Iggy for Durant... he was on that team with him.  They traded him when they lost Durant to avoid the hard cap of the Russell SnT.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 21?) + Salary Chart | Season (Dec 22? 72 gms?) - by Mavsfan12 - 11-02-2020, 12:58 AM