Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
I think in a magical world where Mavs have Luka, KP & Giannis you do have some overlap that could cause some issues. Giannis handles the ball a lot like a point-forward and much of that would go away with Luka. When they play together Giannis would be used more like Shaq probably. He also does post-ups which Rick doesn't really like but Giannis needs a role in the offense so he'd probably get a fair amount of looks. KP would have some redundancy as well and might get forced into a floor spacer role like when Powell was out there.

Defensively they would be pretty great on the interior. My thinking is that Giannis incoming means likely KP exiting at some point. Giannis would need to be like a 5 in Rick's system which is what KP is now. Anyways I'd loved to be tasked with that problem and Rick could figure it out.

People act like Giannis and Luka are a perfect match but they aren't really on paper just because Luka handles the ball so much it takes the ball out of Giannis' hands. Now the counter point is that you can give Luka some breaks out there and let him do more off-ball stuff. Rick would do a lot of minute staggering which means you'd have probably 1 of Giannis, Luka out there at all times which would be a nightmare for other teams.

Anywho I am definitely on board at this point to see how the Giannis sweepstakes goes. It doesn't sound like he's going to sign the Supermax so it's worth playing this thing out at this point. I definitely wouldn't forgo a shot at Giannis for a Buddy Hield type, good not great player that will eat up cap space in 2021.

My concern is that the Mavs will try again in 2022 which I think is when Luka signs his max extension which means another stop-gap year.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 21?) + Salary Chart | Season (Dec 22? 72 gms?) - by StepBackJay - 11-01-2020, 08:32 AM