Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-28-2020, 02:50 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(10-28-2020, 02:40 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Right as I said he has leverage if he is opting out and none if he is opting in. I don't know why he'd give up 14 mil in that first year. sure he would make more for the length of the contract but people tend to overestimate how much of a discount these guys are willing to give up in order to get more guaranteed years. I doubt he would go from 34 in 2020 to 20.

There's some truth to this. I was just throwing the $60 million total out, as it's almost twice as much guaranteed money as he has now, but it might not be enough. I think you're overlooking the potential other factors, such as him having his choice of where he wants to play. 

But, let me get this out of the way: The people who are wondering whether Hayward is a fit here right now will HATE this, if it happens, because it's probably going to be a bigger contract than what we're imagining.

Ya'll can show me some examples where someone gave up a lot of year 1 guaranteed money to get years added on. I don't recall seeing that scenario play out. People thought Barnes would take a big paycut for more guaranteed years and it didn't happen. I think his opt-in dollars and first year deal with the Kings were very close (maybe the same?). Why give up that guaranteed money? Players generally just play out that last year then worry ab their next contract next year.

As it relates to Hayward, would he take a haircut in year one for a 100+ million dollar deal? Maybe so but it's not going to be a big drop.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 21?) + Salary Chart | Season (Dec 22? 72 gms?) - by StepBackJay - 10-28-2020, 04:36 PM