Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-28-2020, 12:40 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: has this Hawks "insider" accurately predicted any other moves?

He's not an insider, but he seems to know one. Honestly, no moves of any kind have happened since we discovered him, and he hasn't "predicted" anything. He's just relaying info that he's hearing about what teams are TRYING to accomplish. Almost all of it has made a lot of sense to me, so far. 

I'm not saying Hayward is going to happen, just that it is something that makes sense as far as a Mavericks target. It also makes sense that he'd want to play here, especially since we don't know the numbers involved. As soon as one wraps their head around the idea that the goal is to sign and trade him (so in other words, NOT bring him in for one year only) then a lot of other tumblers fall into place. 
  • He fits what the Mavs have consistently looked for (see the secondary playmaker argument I've been making since I found this place).
  • He seems to be the kind of PERSON the Mavs generally like.
  • It makes total sense that a guy like that would WANT to be here.
  • His past few years have been so unlucky, health wise, I can easily see he and the Mavericks agreeing on a contract for less than the max (how much is anyone's guess). The longer term security would obviously be a goal, in his specific situation. 
  • If Boston has decided they want to move on, it makes TOTAL sense that they'd allow him to negotiate with teams, because they need to get SOMETHING back. There's no resetting the roster anytime soon in Boston, so they are an over the cap team now. 
  • I'm not sure the Mavs would put together the best offer in a trade, but that's irrelevant. In a sign and trade scenario, the first step is to find a match between the player and new team on terms of the contract. Then, new team and old team try to decide what it's worth for old team to facilitate.
Basically, if Boston wants Hayward back, this won't work. 

If they don't want him back, Dallas would have to be willing to pay him enough, whatever that is, to get him to sign for 3-4 years. MAYBE this means paying him MORE than what any other team is willing to offer, but maybe not. Maybe he has Dallas on a list of 2-3 teams he'd prefer, and there are other factors involved. So, Dallas might only be competing with a few other teams, not the whole league. Indiana is likely a competitor, for example, but they're not idiots. I would think they'd have a top price in mind, too.  A team like Charlotte (just an example) might throw a max at him just to try to sell tickets, but he'd still have to want to play there. He seems to be a smart dude. 

Then, you throw in @"Tyler"'s interesting thought that they might be willing to take a step back overall for next year to get it done in order to maintain some level of flexibility...not entirely convinced their interest would hinge on that, but it sure is interesting, and I can see cheap/helpful guys like Curry/DFS/Kleber/Boban/WCS looking pretty damn good to Boston for the simple task of letting a player sign elsewhere. 

This is one of the rare things we talk about that seems to make MORE sense the longer I think about it. Not sure this specific thing will happen, but THIS is the level of deal I've been hoping for these past months.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 21?) + Salary Chart | Season (Dec 22? 72 gms?) - by KillerLeft - 10-28-2020, 01:03 PM