Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-27-2020, 12:29 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: If I am trading Maxi its to get an upgrade, certainly one that extends past this year. Maxi is on a great value contract and fits a role on this team. Trading him for an expiring makes no sense.

I am ab 95%-ish convinced Mavs will not be subtracting their key guys this year with THJ being the only guy that could be moved for a really good deal. I expect Curry, DFS, Maxi, Brunson to be on this team next year.

So, as I know you are aware, if the Mavs decide to take on money past this year, that means they view whatever player that money is attached to as a really significant piece, good enough to change direction. 

You're the one who claims Powell is un-tradeable. If you're right about that, then even in the CURRENT direction, Kleber, Curry or DFS (maybe two of them, depending on what happens this off season) will have to be moved to create space. Granted, this doesn't need to happen until next summer, but if they can find a player who they view as an upgrade, I don't anticipate them viewing the idea of that player being on a one-year deal as a negative. You could argue that Kleber on a value deal is better in a potential trade for the target than Gallo on an expiring contract, I suppose, but I don't think the Mavs are anywhere close to being able to make a deal for Giannis the way LA did for Anthony Davis. So, it doesn't matter. 

Like Dan says, if the plan doesn't call for Kleber being on the books, anyway, and they can get a better player (in the meantime), why not? 

Not that I think they're TRYING to trade Kleber, and I doubt Gallo would sign a contract for any amount right now that only guarantees one year of salary. Three years of MLE are better than one year of anything the Mavs could pay on a deal like that. We KNOW he'll at least get that. 

I agree with your general sense that the Mavs are hoping to turn Wright/#18 into a player to ADD to the playoff team they already have, but I also think that when you're a BUYER, you have to consider what the SELLER is asking as a price. There are probably teams who want #18, and there are probably others who'd prefer 27 year old players who can help right away.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 23?) + Salary Chart | Season (Dec 22? 72 gms?) - by KillerLeft - 10-27-2020, 01:03 PM