Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-26-2020, 08:59 PM)Tyler Wrote:
(10-26-2020, 04:52 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I see two things that might upset a KISS plan.  One is the opportunity to pick up a player who deserves a multi-year/greater than MLE deal for the MLE for one year.   It would be pretty hard to pass up Gallinari or Millsap for one year at $9mm as examples.  The other is moving 2021 salary.  Hollinger seemed to think moving Wright wouldn’t be that difficult. ... 31 to move Wright. 

Let's say Dallas offers Wright+31 to OKC (a team known to be aggressively accumulating picks) for a S&T Gallinari. Dallas could pay Gallo up to $14mm (only 1 year guaranteed, but quite a bit more than the MLE) or up to $19mm if they also include Jackson. That would kill your two birds with one stone.

As you know, the number has to be large enough for Gallo to be "controlled" for 3 years.  While the team may want to only guarantee one year, the deal obligates the player for 3 potentially.  I think $14-$19mm qualifies.

Mike L. is right about the timing issue.  While I can see lots of things being agreed to well in advance of free agency opening, FA's are "free" to change their mind.  So, unless Dallas was willing to keep the player(s) drafted on OKC's behalf, they are taking on some risk.  What happens if you draft someone for OKC and Gallo changes his mind?  Cue the video of Cuban frantically trying to find DeAndre Jordan's house in Houston.

Who knows what OKC will look like after all the wheeling and dealing, but as it stands now, they have a much greater need for Maxi than they do for a 4th PG.  Supposedly we tried to acquire Gallo at the TDL.  The deal would have been Lee plus one of Maxi/Curry/Wright to match $22mm in salary.  Since OKC was in the middle of a playoff run a the time, I suspect they would have wanted a replacement for Gallo at PF.  Also, does a team with 203 future first rounders really care about 18/31?  It might be easier to do Maxi/Jackson for Gallo and forget the pick(s).

Gallo is one of those interesting cases.  He can pick his team and start house-hunting now if he's willing to take the MLE for a year (and may have for all we know).  But, if he waits out a more complex S&T, some options might evaporate.  I'm almost always surprised by the numbers some players get.  I wonder if over-pays will continue in this environment or if teams will reign it in a little given all the uncertainty.  Gallo is enough of a difference maker (still) that I imagine some contender will try to put together a package for OKC.  The Thunder really control this and no one really knows what they plan to do going forward.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 23?) + Salary Chart | Season (Dec 22? 72 gms?) - by DanSchwartzgan - 10-27-2020, 06:39 AM