Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
After reading Hollinger’s article on the NBA’s reopening plan (and listening to a podcast co-hosted by Hollinger).  I wonder if we aren’t more likely to just keep it kind of simple (so Plan KISS).  In the podcast John talks about Dallas “clearly” looking to cap room in 2021.  That probably puts a cap on 2020 activity.  In the reporting on the NBA’s plan, it feels like the league is just trying to get through 20/21 as best it can hoping for better days in 21/22.  Teams may adopt the same mindset which would be another governor on activity.

I wonder if teams (this team) will be cautious about adding unknown quantities to the roster.  Do we really need two rookies?  BTW, if THJ has to go in order to have cap room and Curry stays, but is 30+ and gets injured fairly regularly, I tend to think 18 goes toward a guard.  Between KP, THJ, Powell, Wright, Maxi, Luka, Curry, Jackson, DFS, Boban, WCS and Brunson we have 12.  Lee?, Burke?, MKG?  Two picks?  MLE?  We only have to have 14 and many teams will do that to hold down costs.

I see two things that might upset a KISS plan.  One is the opportunity to pick up a player who deserves a multi-year/greater than MLE deal for the MLE for one year.   It would be pretty hard to pass up Gallinari or Millsap for one year at $9mm as examples.  The other is moving 2021 salary.  Hollinger seemed to think moving Wright wouldn’t be that difficult.  If so, that solves what I’ve thought to be one of the biggest needs in terms of roster adjustments in 2020.  But, do you really want him on the roster if you’ve already determined you won’t play him.  This is different than THJ playing for his next contract here or elsewhere.  This Wright sitting for his next contract.  Probably not good.  This isn’t all that different than much of what has been proposed here.  31 to move Wright.  A one year MLE and a pick added to what we have?  I’m just saying some of my/our more outlandish multi-person deals feel even more unrealistic to me today.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 23?) + Salary Chart | Season (Dec 22?) - by DanSchwartzgan - 10-26-2020, 04:52 PM