Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-24-2020, 06:05 PM)Tyler Wrote: Random thought... Wright/Jackson with a S&T Lee for Conley. 

It saves Utah money now, and Dallas money in '21. And it swaps PGs to teams who might be able to put them to better use. 

Who says no?

I'd say Utah, because I believe they will still try to win now and this trade clearly makes them worse. Wright also kills a bit of their flexibility in 2021. If the goal is to win, I assume there are better possibilities around. How about Utah standard partner Cleveland? Conley and #23 for Love and Garland? Or swap with Philly - Conley for Harris might benefit both teams in terms of "win now".

If winning is not a priority and I would be so pressed to save money, I would rather give a call to one of the cap teams and added a couple of second roudners (if necessary) to eat the contract. Who knows, perhaps Atlanta takes him for free, they could use a mentor for Young. Perhaps Charlotte would give a minor asset for Batum swap. Perhaps a trade with Detroit with Snell and Kennard coming to Utah for the #23 and other picks if needed? All of these seem far better options than Dallas offer. 

Honestly, I think it has been way exaggerated how bad contract Conley is supposed to be. He is expiring, Utah is relatively far from tax. While he was bad (relatively speaking based on size of his contract - he was still twice the player Wright is) in the regular season, he was excellent in the playoffs scoring almost 20 ppg on excellent efficiency.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by omahen - 10-24-2020, 06:28 PM