Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-24-2020, 10:40 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Ya, in a Gobert trade I can’t believe any trade without Kleber outgoing. That’s got to be at least a bit of the compensation for losing possibly the best defender in the league, even if he isn’t gonna resign. Conley is another interesting addition. It’s hard to imagine Utah being dumb enough to give up both, and in the same deal as well.

Why? Conley has largely been a disappointment, being outplayed by Clarkson. It makes a lot of sense for them to dump his remaining contract. They get #18+#31 from the Mavs, plus their own pick at #23, they could draft their "replacements". Historically Utah has done pretty well staying afloat with their drafting and proactive trading. Maybe they get Smith at #18, Anthony/Terry at #23  and Stewart/Carey/Azubuike at #31.

For the Mavs it makes sense, since the contracts are so large that at least one of Powell and Wright has to be in the trade, possibly both. Since Gobert/Conley are free agents you actually gain cap flexibility. Furthermore it´s a move that could make us a legit contender, if it goes extremely well, unlike a Oladipo trade for example. Especially since it would attract ring chasers imho. Suddenly somebody like Gallinari could be interested to sign with the Euro All-Stars for the MLE.

I´m not even sure the Jazz can ask for much more than #18+#31+future 1st. Most people around the league assume they will let Gobert walk as the trend of not overpaying the C position is accelerated by COVID. Conley has no positive value either. So three virtual 1st round picks seems very fair compensation given that they have to take some of our dreck. Therefore I´m not even sure Kleber, Curry or Brunson have to be in the deal. Certainly not more than one of them.

I can still see this go horribly wrong and it would truly be an awkward fit, but you´d still be in a good spot for 2021. Gallinari on the MLE, maybe re-sign Conley to a $5-8M contract. You still have $25-30M left to spend on somebody else, if Gobert doesn´t work out.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by Mavs2019 - 10-24-2020, 02:03 PM