Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-23-2020, 11:30 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: But, the question you are raising is regarding Utah.

I actually covered both sides. If the trade value is something like THJ+Powell+Lee SnT, sure I do it. I mean, this is a price to get rid of Powell contract only. I don't see any way Utah does it. I sincerely doubt 12 mil of savings beats dumping useful Conley for useless Lee. Unless Mitchell is refusing to come and play if Gobert is on the team, it makes no sense for Utah to take such a crappy deal even if Gobert is walking after the season. Their team was built to win now, I don't see why they disband it a season early and start over. As Dallas, Utah can also be looking to be a player in 2021 free agency, which will be more difficult with Powell contract on their books. With Gobert and Conley gone, they have max space. With Powell on the books, they don't.

If the price is like THJ+Curry+Maxi+DFS there is no way I do it if I am Dallas. 

(10-23-2020, 11:30 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Why else would Cuban cast out the lure if he didn't think there was a chance a fish would bite.

Who knows if this is the fish he was catching Smile 

(10-23-2020, 11:30 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I take it you think Conley has positive value?

Nope, I don't. However, it has to be noted Conley was actually very good in the playoffs, which is what is important for them. Who knows what Utah could do if they'd have Bogdanovic. It is certainly cheaper (from team building point of view) for them to use something else than Gobert as a sweetener to get rid of his contract, if they want to. This is like Knicks using KP to dump their bad money. Would perhaps Milwaukee prefer him over Bledsoe? Philly would pay money to get rid of Horford. Sacramento might use a mentor next to Fox instead of Hield. Perhaps Chicago would look to save some 2021 cap (Sato+Young). How about vet for a vet like Griffin or Love? 

(10-23-2020, 11:30 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Gobert would be eligible for about $30mm.  If you are him, do you take the bird in the hand or hope you can find someone to give more in a year.  Where he stands on that question will go a long way in determining how much return Utah can get for him from any particular team.

This is exactly same question Dallas will have. Are you looking to pay for a one year rental? Than you don't care what he demands after the season, but you also don't pay a lot. I am ok with THJ, Powell and a pick for a rental, but I doubt Utah is, as covered in first part of my argument.  If you are looking for a long term cooperation, are you really prepared to pay full max to him in his age 30 season? I am not.

As for KP-Gobert fit, I just don't see it. They would need to go against LeBron-Davis (unless you have KP running around Green or KCP). I don't think we would have any chance in this match up. Neither of them is good enough offensivelly to cover up for defensive mismatches. 

Than you have Clippers. If you have Gobert on Zubac, KP could have to choose to guard between Kawhi, PG, Williams and Bev. Best case, they don't go "small" ball and he is on Morris.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by omahen - 10-24-2020, 03:19 AM