Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-23-2020, 08:31 PM)omahen Wrote:
(10-23-2020, 07:04 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Utah would save $12mm (or would be able to use the MLE and avoid the tax).

No way that deal is close to realistic. Utah will not use Gobert just to dump Conley.  

In any case, if I am Utah, I definitely try one more run with this lot. If trading Gobert is a must, I would explore trade for someone like Hayward + Williams+picks. Perhaps Chicago (OPJ+WCJ+#4). Perhaps Clippers and PG.

I don't think any of us think this is likely.  Same with everything else we talk about here.  I'm just trying to fill in puzzle pieces and see if they make any sense.  I'm a buyer if I'm Dallas.  But, the question you are raising is regarding Utah.

I take it you think Conley has positive value?  I don't see it.  One way or another, Gobert is gone in a year.  I have no idea how difficult this environment has been on small markets in general and Utah in particular.  Under normal circumstances Utah would certainly try to get value.  For all we know "value" might include saving a few million dollars.   Why else would Cuban cast out the lure if he didn't think there was a chance a fish would bite.

I do disagree with the kind of value you envision Gobert drawing.  There is no way Chicago gives up WCJ and #4 on the hope Gobert re-ups with them.  I think Boston is more likely to bet on their culture and Utah would more likely want to send Gobert there than LAC or Dallas.  But, I suspect the deal won't be overly rich.  Even with their winning culture, they won't have a guarantee without an extension.  

BTW, an extension is an interesting question...Gobert would be eligible for about $30mm.  If you are him, do you take the bird in the hand or hope you can find someone to give more in a year.  Where he stands on that question will go a long way in determining how much return Utah can get for him from any particular team.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by DanSchwartzgan - 10-23-2020, 11:30 PM