Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-23-2020, 07:04 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Utah would save $12mm (or would be able to use the MLE and avoid the tax).

No way that deal is close to realistic. Utah will not use Gobert just to dump Conley. They can save money by moving either of them separately, if they want. If I am them and doing this deal, I would be definitely demanding DFS, Brunson, Curry, Maxi and THJ plus both picks (and I still don't see a point of Utah doing it). Is Utah really still hoping to be a contender with this trade? I don't think our lot + MLE is nowhere near the "contender value" Gobert and Conley have. They get a huge hole on the center position. 

As it is, they have 117 of committed salary for 12 players, which leaves almost 15 million for Clarkson. Depends on how much he will cost, they can sign rookies and stay under tax. 

In any case, if I am Utah, I definitely try one more run with this lot. If trading Gobert is a must, I would explore trade for someone like Hayward + Williams+picks. Perhaps Chicago (OPJ+WCJ+#4). Perhaps Clippers and PG.

If I am Dallas, what would be the point of paying all our role players (I don't believe THJ+Maxi+salary fillers are going to do it) and picks for two expiring contracts? We can't upgrade them at TDL, because we will have absolutely nothing left to sweeten the deal. Next season is basically Gobert or GA. And if it is not GA, we are screwed. I don't want to pay max for Gobert. Even if he signs for less, he is not a great fit and we have nothing else but basically vet min to add to it (Conley can resign at reduced number). 

I'd say a hard no for something like that. I think trading for Oladipo would be much less risky and fill a bigger position of need.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by omahen - 10-23-2020, 08:31 PM