Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-22-2020, 06:19 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: 1. Which free agent do you find most intriguing?

[b]Tim MacMahon:  [/b]Danilo Gallinari might end up deciding between several contenders who offer their full midlevel exception. That would be a bargain for a prolific scorer who has shot 41.8% from 3-point range over the past two seasons, but the teams that have cap space don't look like good fits. Or maybe Thunder general manager Sam Presti can find a win-win, sign-and-trade scenario.

Gallinari doesn't help the perimeter D, but despite that he's consistently been a a plus performer in On minus Off.  He's killer from 3 and can create his own shot.  The trouble with a S&T is it has to be a 3 year deal (but only one guaranteed minimum).  So, the $ either has to be enough that Gallinari would give up control to the team.  If it is a small amount he'd want control and if injured could gum up the cap in 2021.  Dallas would want control with a S&T.  Does OKC have a need for Wright?  I guess the threat of Gallinari leaving for a one year MLE could help.  But, I think you'd need to see CP3 or Schroder leave before Wright would be attractive.

The Athletic rated him as the 41st best player in the league this week.  His 3 year O-PIPM is 15th best in the league but his 3 year D-PIPM is 280th.  Still, for $9 million (or Wright and another $5 million on a one year)?  That is a lot of value.  Does that free you up for an O for D move elsewhere?  Curry for Richardson?  I'm starting to like the idea of Josh Green at 18.  With Curry over 30 (and an injury risk) and THJ, our source of funds for 2021 cap space, he (and several other similar sized players) make some sense as someone who could take a year to acclimate and then have a bigger role a year from now.

I'm not so sure about him creating his own shot. If the cap stays the same, a Wright/Jackson Dump for air using picks (Wright/31 and Jackson/future 2nd) clears up cap so we can throw a big 1-year offer (around 12-15M). This way we still have the MLE and #18 to address our weaknesses.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by aguiar95 - 10-22-2020, 07:01 AM