Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-21-2020, 05:24 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 05:16 AM)Branduil Wrote: One thing about accumulating assets is that it can actually give you more flexibility than just having cap space. For instance, let's say the Mavs acquire Oladipo for next season, and then in the next offseason Giannis wants to come here. If we're only using cap space, Oladipo would obviously have to go in that scenario(or all of our role players), BUT if we have a number of assets and bird rights for desirable players(e.g. THJ), the Mavs would also have the option of doing a sign-and-trade and going over the cap while keeping Oladipo. Assets are always better than cap space as long as they're paid reasonable money.
The reasonable money is what makes them assets.

I totally agree that having assets is better than not having assets, and I think the Mavs have done a sneaky good job at accumulating some good ones. Going strictly off of the value of a team friendly contract, I'd guess Kleber, DFS and Curry are all more valuable than we might realize. Wright, too, if a team thinks he can contribute, tbh. Any of them WILL be super easy to move if/when space is needed. That's true.

My whole thing is that I don't want to HAVE to move them, if I can possibly avoid doing so. Those same value contracts should help expedite process of building a team around Luka/Giannis, if the dream comes true. 

But back to the point at hand, I think there's ample evidence that the Mavs understand and agree that value assets are a good thing to have, even if they're chasing big dreams. So, I'm not going to assume they don't know what they're doing should they choose to clear space before people here would. Instead, I'll assume that they couldn't find any assets valuable enough to fit into their plans that way, and that it might be because no such options are available to them. Not because they're incompetent. 

Another Curry like signing, that you KNOW you can move? Sure! But, I have a feeling some of what people here might consider "valuable" would actually not be viewed that way by the team. It's a slippery slope from the truth of "valuable players on good contracts are easy to clear" to the lie "you can always move any contract when you need to."

Good article. The point is that we shouldn't be so attached to DFS, Kleber and Curry, which is probably true, but what I find interesting is the perspective gained on the deficiencies of some of our most talked about potential trade targets. Maybe we should be less worried about them.

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2020/10/21...st-seasons
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by KillerLeft - 10-21-2020, 10:13 AM