Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-21-2020, 07:13 AM)omahen Wrote: Because there are huge risks which you mostly listed: injury, age, fit with the team

Injury for sure is a biggie. Griffin has always been plagued with injuries. Just a cost of being one of the most athletic players ever. I trust our medical staff to put him in the best position health-wise though.  But I disagree with you that Griffins fit and age are detriments. In fact I think both are advantages. Griffin is only 31. On the scale of father time, Griffin still has at least 4 years left of quality basketball barring injuries. Jrue Holiday is 30 and has been just as injury prone as Griffin, yet many wouldn't bat an eye for a trade involving him. His experience also helps bolster this young team that had trouble closing out games. 

Griffins fit I also believe would be like a glove. He has everything we want. He can hit 3's. He has some great playmaking. He can create his own offense. And he's versatile defensively (albiet he isn't the absolute best at that). 

(10-21-2020, 07:13 AM)omahen Wrote: He basically kills our 2021 flexibility - we actually increase our 2021 money even if we trade Wright and Powell for him.

The BG Plan falls squarely in the "Cap Space Can Always Be Created" mindset. His contract is large. But it also expires in 2 years at the most. He could opt-out in 2021 for one last big contract at 32, an idea I believe has more credence than were giving credit. Should Griffin opt out and the Mavs get off Wright and Powell, we'd actually have created nearly 20 mil of space that previously wasn't there. And in the case Griffin doesn't opt out? Well again, cap can always be created. There are PLENTY of middling teams that would take an expiring Blake Griffin for pennies on the dollar, even if he's injured. At worst he sells seats. At best he can take a team like Orlando or Portland further in the playoffs on a 1 year deal. Either way, he's a tradeable asset and shouldn't be viewed as a blockade to the Giannis chase.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by SleepingHero - 10-21-2020, 07:28 AM