Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-21-2020, 03:54 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Why not?

Because there are huge risks which you mostly listed: injury, age, fit with the team. All of this gives serious possibility that trading for him will be a total bust. He basically kills our 2021 flexibility - we actually increase our 2021 money even if we trade Wright and Powell for him. Based on this, I say no thank you and run away, even if Detroit takes all our bad money and SnT Lee to make up the salary difference. The risks are not worth it, imho.

As from the Detroit part. They need to get something of value for him, because in the end, they have to pay someone to reach the minimum salary level. Switching him for low value (or dare I say negative value) contracts is not it. At least a couple of second rounders, since we don't really have any young players.

(10-21-2020, 05:16 AM)Branduil Wrote: One thing about accumulating assets is that it can actually give you more flexibility than just having cap space. For instance, let's say the Mavs acquire Oladipo for next season, and then in the next offseason Giannis wants to come here. If we're only using cap space, Oladipo would obviously have to go in that scenario(or all of our role players), BUT if we have a number of assets and bird rights for desirable players(e.g. THJ), the Mavs would also have the option of doing a sign-and-trade and going over the cap while keeping Oladipo. Assets are always better than cap space as long as they're paid reasonable money.

Of course. I guess vast majority of people here want Mavs to improve for 2020/21 in some way. Some want draft, some players, some prefer expiring players and some prefer players under longer term contracts. All of these can be assets.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by omahen - 10-21-2020, 07:13 AM