Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
Putting the recent headline of the Mavs willing to eat salary in return for a 3rd star, and listening to the Lowe Post. My wheels started turning.

Many here liked the idea of Paul Milsap as a stopgap 4. A guy who can guard bigger dudes, and is still agile enough to not get eaten alive in PnR. He's also a pretty good 3pt shooter, and has a varied offensive game. I like Paul Milsap. I don't like his age. But in my time ruminating over trades to get Milsap to Dallas, a lightbulb turned on.

Why not Blake Griffin? Seriously? Ok ok, yes his contract is pretty hefty. Yes he's probably more injury prone than KP. Yes, he might not be anything he once was. BUT! Here me out. Griffin last year arguably had his best year as a pro. He led a middling Pistons team that was bereft of talent to the playoffs. Before he went down near the end of that season, Griffin was a dark horse MVP candidate and had many thinking the Pistons could perhaps steal a series early. 
This year was a lost year for Griffin. His injuries piled up faster than the Pistons lost games, and it culminated in the Pistons sitting Blake to lose out. 

Griffin has reinvented himself. No longer is he this high-flying 4 that beats people by jumping over a car. No. Griffin last year averaged 36% from 3 on 7 attempts from the field. He dished out nearly 6 assists a game. He got to the free throw line 7.3 times a game. He was a legit all-NBA talent. He is basically an advanced version of Paul Milsap today. 

Here in Dallas, Griffin has the skill to be a secondary playmaker. In LAC, one of Griffin's go-to plays was a 4-5 PnR with Jordan that resulted in lobs all day. Griffin is also a versatile defender.  At 6'9, he's the perfect height to guard bigs, and he still has the quickness to keep up with wings. He has 2 years left on his deal with a player option in the summer of 2021. If he opted in, the Mavs could trade his expiring contract as an asset. If he opts out, the Mavs would have more than enough space to chase Giannis. 

I think Griffins value is super low. One where we could convince Detroit to take Powell off our hands, and maybe even dare I say swap picks? (Don't take that hyperbole too seriously). 

Tl;DR Griffin is available. He qualifies as a 3rd star. His contract isn't that long and theoretically shouldn't prevent us in the Giannis chase. He is a higher upside version of Paul Milsap and could conceivably be good enough to put the Mavs in contending status next year and should be cheap. Why not?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by SleepingHero - 10-21-2020, 03:54 AM