Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
KL I find it fascinating that you think getting Holiday wouldn't make the Mavs ready to win now. He provides defense and that offball ability + creation. Tho he's not elite in some of those areas by any means he's good all around. 

I think you are missing that wing as the final piece to being a contender now. I think you may even be able to scrap up enough to find someone to fill in until 2021 free agency and be the 2nd/3rd favorite in the west. 

But a move for Holiday is a 2021 move anyways to pair with whatever other free agent moves. I think 2021 you are ready to be a for sure contender with Holiday? Is Holiday too old at 31 to be making major future investments? I can buy that concern for sure. I'd love to get another great young piece. Extremely difficult to do tho of course.

(10-20-2020, 07:52 PM)omahen Wrote:
(10-20-2020, 07:39 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: The argument against Dipo essentially is that you want a guy who excels offball but also can create. Dipo definitely doesn't excel offball. Can he play that way? Maybe. And maybe with the right guy next to him it's not a problem. 

We have to define what good means to each one of us. For me, Orlando or OKC Oladipo version for a price we were discussing is good, better than what we currently have at guards. Because of his defense next to above average offense (15 ppg is above average). Prime Indy version is a jackpot.

Regarding the off ball stuff - Mavs were looking at Kemba who I would say is more ball dominant than Dipo. And I perfectly agree with Killer - I don't want Luka and Mavs to become Hardens Houston. They need to push Luka to be active off ball, not just stand around being completely useless like Harden is.

Kemba is definitely ball dominant. But he can also play off ball. I'm not saying Dipo being ball dominant is the main problem (although it might be not ideal) but his struggles playing offball. The catch and shoot stats are very concerning. 

See I'm not ok with Orlando version of Dipo. I feel like THJ is a better player for the Mavs than that player even if he is a decent player. I want 2017 version of Dipo that could shoot half decent or I'm not interested. Again, there is no way of knowing what you are getting. And thus the huge risk in it. 

I'm ok with taking that risk at a price and if other options are exhausted first. Despite my concerns, it's far from a hard no from me.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by cjeter24 - 10-20-2020, 07:53 PM