Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
@"ItsGoTime" Totally agree that the team needs two-way players. Having said that, I think much too much hubbub is made about "great defenders." It's two-way players who stay connected to each other and PLAY HARD on that end that you have to have. My observation is that MOST NBA players are capable of this, provided they've played together long enough and they all believe their team has a chance to win. Mix in a couple of great defenders, and you've really got something, but great defenders who aren't totally useless on the offensive end seem to be the rarest of things in the league. The good news is that Luka/KP have a chance to be more effective on defense than Nash/Dirk ever were, and soon, so it should be much easier to build this team defensively than the last time around. I don't think you have to go all out (yet) and think defense first with your team building, especially when the offense turns so ugly down the stretch of an important game against good teams. I think Convington's and OPJ's WILL matter when you've actually got your core together. I just don't think they're at that point yet, BUT I'd expect them to be much better on defense anyway, provided adequate continuity. 

Totally agree that they need multiple added initiators, and that not all of them need to be other-worldly. Brunson (or Burke) should be good off the bench, for example. I still think they need ONE more guy who actually frightens defenses with more than his ability to catch and shoot. Someone who can attack in multiple ways. 

In a similar but slightly different point, even if you really believe Luka/KP is comparable to Lebron/Davis right now (I don't, for the reasons I mentioned), I think it's naive not to focus on the fact that other teams are building this way. Greedily. You can't build the team to compete with what's out there NOW and hope to succeed. Success comes when you catch up to what those who are already better will be in the FUTURE. Luka is still improving (I'm not one of these guys who wonders "How does he get better?") which will help, but they had damn well better be aiming as high as possible. Someone is getting Giannis, and it's not going to be Milwaukee.

(10-20-2020, 07:00 PM)omahen Wrote:
(10-20-2020, 06:33 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Holiday = that guy, but casual fans don't realize it.
Oladipo = fans THINK he's that guy due to his reputation, but those in the league don't seem to agree. Not right now, at least. 

Let me ask you. If you would have this two deals on the table, which one would you do:
1. Wright+Jackson+Bobi+18+31 for Dipo
2. THJ+Curry+18+2025 FRP for Holiday

Both can leave after one season and people tend to think that offer number two is actually light.

I'm not 100% positive I do either deal, but if forced to choose one, I take #1 all day. 

LOVE Holiday, and he's a GREAT on-court fit here, but he doesn't perfectly fit the team's timeline. So, at that price, I hold off for a different deal that makes more sense for me. Jrue would speed up the development here, teach Luka and the others a bunch, but right as they'd be ready to really win, he'd be about done.

(10-20-2020, 06:54 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(10-20-2020, 06:33 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Oladipo = fans THINK he's that guy due to his reputation, but those in the league don't seem to agree. Not right now, at least. 

I mean he did make the all-star team twice and that includes coaches voting.

Carmelo Anthony has made a ton of All Star teams. Do you want him? 

I'm trolling here, but honestly, only a little. My point is that for whatever reason, the perception of a player and the value of what he actually provides on the court can be wildly different at times. Everyone (nationally) that I respect has been commenting for the past few months that Oladipo looks DONE. Maybe they're wrong, and again, since his contract is expiring, I MIGHT PULL THE TRIGGER, depending on the deal.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by KillerLeft - 10-20-2020, 07:08 PM