Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-20-2020, 06:33 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(10-20-2020, 06:22 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I don't agree that you HAVE to have a star playing initiator though. Jrue is NOT a star and I think even you have said he is the perfect fit. This is changing your point made in the previous post from STAR to INITIATOR. I can agree with the initiator, can't agree with the star.

This will be like the 10th time I've typed this:

When people (especially people who work for teams) use the term "star" what they mean (whether they realize it or not - most fans don't, I guess) is "difference maker who can affect change in the game with the ball in their hands." THAT is what this team needs. I'd argue they need more than one additional player like that. This is 100% why the Mavs wanted Kemba Walker, so I'm cautiously optimistic that they understand their situation, even if fans don't. 

Jrue Holiday is a great example, because he IS such a player (though on the low end of that spectrum), it's just that he's not the type to cultivate his "star" profile. In other words, the perception of him around the league isn't anywhere close to the perception of him by fans via the media.

Holiday = that guy, but casual fans don't realize it.
Oladipo = fans THINK he's that guy, but those in the league don't seem to agree. 

I try to be very careful not to use the word "star" or the phrase "3rd star" to avoid miscommunications like this. I don't care how POPULAR the Mavs' players are, but for the love of holly Jebus, they need more than one player on the floor who can DRIBBLE (if only to create an actual usable passing angle) in the half court to make something happen during the last five minutes of A PLAYOFF GAME!!!! 

If they don't get that player (or multiple players like that) here before Luka signs his extension, he's going to start getting, at some point, the same criticism Harden gets. Then he will leave. It's so clear. 
I agree that you've talked a lot about an initiator, I also agree that we need 1 or 2 more than we have (which is 1...and maybe a half with Burke). I don't think they all need to be Kemba Walker high end. Luka draws attention, KP draws attention. With that, all we need is guys like you said, that can ACTUALLY DRIBBLE THE BALL to get either the shot or a shot for another. 

I don't even think they need to be all that high-end at many other things. Derek Rose is an example of what I'm thinking. Schroeder is another name that isn't high-end, but CAN be that guy. Burke has shown the ability in the highest of pressure situation to be able to do it, which is promising, but he isn't a high-end guy.

Sure, an actual STAR (which I believe to be a perennial all-star, not necessarily 1st team, which is a superstar IMO) says they want to come here, you figure out how. In the mean time, get guys like I said that can be that difference maker (who can also play defense!!!!!!!). Instead of all these offense first and offense only guys we have who can't do the one thing on offense you're begging for.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by ItsGoTime - 10-20-2020, 06:51 PM