Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-19-2020, 10:37 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(10-19-2020, 06:53 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I enjoy that @"omahen" and myself finally found common ground after all this time.

Oladipo - make it happen Donnie!

May I join the party? 

I think if done right that Oladipo might be the ultimate HIBW's deal.  You have to keep THJ so that both he and Dipo (and Jackson) are expiring.  Otherwise, it isn't a HIBW's deal.  If you do Wright/Curry and 18 for Dipo, you can sell the fan base on the former two time all-star as improvement.  Maybe it will be.  Dipo has every reason to play his butt off here.  I actually think the bigger risk is that he's fantastic and we are too good.  Let's say we make the WC finals.  Do you blow up 2/5th of your starting lineup (THJ and Dipo) to take a shot at Giannis?  What happens if he picks somewhere else and Dipo and THJ are gone by the time you circle back.  

The key here is moving on from Curry and Wright.  KP, Powell, Luka, Kleber, DFS, Brunson, 31 (3 year deal using part of MLE), the WCS hold and the right amount of minimums leaves $32.7mm on a $109.1mm cap.  Sound familiar?  Yes, that is a Giannis max.   

Are you more competitive in 2020?  Probably.  Health will determine.
Does it make you look like a serious player to fans and to opposing players?  I think so.
Can you create the necessary Powder to land Giannis?  Yes

Are we giving up a fan favorite (who has his own injury history) and a 50/50 shot at a replacement level player?  Yes.
Do I mind for Oladipo.  No.  This isn't about him.  It is about preserving your shot at Giannis while trying to improve in 2020.  HIBW's.

Agree that the goal of acquiring Oladipo is worth considering, for the reasons you mention above. 

Agree that it only makes sense without THJ in the deal, for 2021 purposes. That probably doesn’t bode well for the on court fit of the team next year, unless either THJ or Oladipo comes off the bench, but the point is 2021.

i would tentatively like to “join the party” too, but...to get in the door, do I have to be ok with giving up Curry? Is there a back room in the party for those who hope (hopelessly) that the deal is Wright/Powell/#18?
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by KillerLeft - 10-19-2020, 10:56 PM