Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-19-2020, 07:50 PM)omahen Wrote:
(10-19-2020, 07:31 PM)cow Wrote: Even if Dipo gets traded here and helps us get to the playoffs, a 2021 FA is going to know that coming to Dallas means Dipo is out so again, I'm not sure how that moves the needle.

Well, KP will be back and Mavs are still selling the story of a loaded promising team - "look, even an injury to our number two guy didn't really derail us much"

I think that last impression is important. I think people around the league look at Phoenix much differently now, after that great bubble run. A solid foundation, very young team. Still have #10 pick this year. Not to mention Miami. I am affraid if Mavs have a really bummer of a season and miss the playoffs, people might look at them as Minnesota 2.0. Like: "Yeah, they have some really talented players but they are not really there yet. Not playing defense, not serious. I am not going there, I doubt I can get my ring there". How many stars went to play with Towns or Booker? 

Let's assume Miami and Toronto are competitors for Giannis, if he decides to leave. They are selling a culture that it might be appealing to Giannis: "Look, we are not fooling around. We know what we want and we work extremely hard for it. With the pieces we have we are so close. We just need a star to push us over the hump, easily. We have top coach, top front office and overall top organization. Plus you will be the star, not second banana." That will be tough to beat and Mavs need to prove they are more than just a fun team to watch. Giannis is a serious hardworking guy, all business, always trying to improve. Mavs need to prove, they will be a dynasty. Same goes for any other top free agent.

I'm operating from the premise we aren't getting Giannis or any other top free agent.  Plan powder is ridiculous but if there is any excuse for it, it may be this offseason because of the talent pool. Further if a top tier free agent wants to play with Luka and KP, they'll know what their own worth is and that they can push the team over the top.  

We just have such precious few assets until all of our #1 picks are conveyed that you'll have a hard time talking me into investing them into short term rentals.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by cow - 10-19-2020, 07:55 PM