Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-19-2020, 02:15 PM)omahen Wrote:
(10-19-2020, 01:53 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Schroder is at the top of my get-list for this year

You really are a drama queen. You don't like Dipo because he would take ball from Luka, but you don't have a problem with Schroeder doing exactly the same.

Like he did from CP3 and SGA? Hmmm...

We need a guy who can create his own shot and can play on-ball as well as off-ball. We all agree on that. That's why Jrue is the platonic ideal of what we're looking for. I have absolutely zero trust in Dipo to defer to Luka when on the floor. Not only has he shown a monolithic propensity not to do that in recent years, but this is a prove-it contract year for him. I have at least some trust that Schroder could work, because it worked playing alongside two other point guards.

The elephant in the room here is that, as you noted, Luka was able to play off-ball in the past. He has not shown that in the NBA, and the offense is by far the most effective going through him. We want to ease the burden on him, not nerf him. Something we have not discussed in this whole debate is that, as important as it is to ease the burden on Luka, you really don't want him playing off ball if he can't get his 3p% above 35%, and preferably far higher. By that standard, an argument could be made that even Jrue would be a bad idea this year.

(10-19-2020, 02:21 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(10-19-2020, 02:05 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(10-19-2020, 02:04 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I guess we are just going to pretend Oadipo's PER wasn't 23.12 in his breakout year before his injury?

Better that than pretending his broken ass fits this team now.

Omahen, we get it. You think the 18th pick is garbage. It is not garbage if Haliburton, Vassell, Achiuwa, Smith, S. Bey, Hampton, Terry, Maxey, or even possibly Green falls to it, because each one of those players would fit better here than Victor Freaking Oladipo.

Wow...8 future allstars and most of them won´t be selected with a top 10 pick. Seriously...It is unlikely that even one of them ever reaches VO level. The only reason why Oladipo is a questionable pickup is his injury and contract situation. Both did not prevent the Mavs from trading for KP.
Personally I would like to keep the pick but some people never learn. They hype up a prospect and two years later they demand that the same guy should be traded because he did not live up to the crazy high expectations.

I didn't say a single one of those guys is a future All-Star. I said they fit better than Oladipo.

I'll say this. Those guys have as much of a chance of being an All-Star as Dipo has of getting back there again given what we've seen. Take that statement the other way before you criticize it the principal way. And the statement is triply true of Dipo the 2020-21 Maverick versus those eight players' whole careers.

(10-19-2020, 02:23 PM)omahen Wrote:
(10-19-2020, 02:05 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Omahen, we get it. You think the 18th pick is garbage.

I will just quote you

(10-19-2020, 01:53 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: even if the Pels would take our pupu platter

So when speaking about Jrue, our pick (and other assets) are a pu pu platter. But when speaking about a player we could perhaps get, than it is national treasure. It is you who doesn't get it. #18 is a 47 % chance to become a ROTATION (not all star) player. If you are in a win now mode looking for starter upgrades it is not #18 picks you are counting on.

Our pick is a pupu platter for Jrue because he is a highly-coveted commodity whom we have no evidence that the Pels want to trade him, and many other teams want his services. 18 is not a national treasure, but I value it far more than Victor Oladipo, because in a vacuum, it appears that there's very little chance of his becoming the player he once was, and on top of that he gives the strong impression of being a malcontent, not likely to re-sign here unless we overpay him (let the Knicks do that), and an atrocious fit next to Luka.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by Scott41theMavs - 10-19-2020, 02:24 PM