Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-19-2020, 11:48 AM)omahen Wrote: Focusing on his 19 games this season post injury is like evaluating KP based on his performance in first 30 games or so this season. I guess you were devastated Mavs paid 2 first round picks, former #9 pick and took some bad money for him. Not to mention he really only had half of a good season before that.

In KP's first 19 games back from injury:

• He shot 42% on FGs and 35% on 3s (34% on catch and shoot).

Dipo's first 19 games back from injury:

• He shot 39% on FGs and 31% on 3s (27.5% on catch and shoot).

I was not devastated by the trade for KP. The Mavs got the three best players (I would take KP/THJ/Burke over DSJ/Matthews/DAJ all day long, everyday for the rest of my life) and only had to give up two drafts picks ('21 and '23 which will likely be in the 20s). KP was indeed a risk, but from my standpoint not a huge risk because the fit with Luka is obvious (the risk was/is only health related).

On the other hand the fit of Dipo and Luka is NOT obvious especially when Dipo did not mesh well with Brogdon (IND was +1.9 for the year but Brog+Dipo was -4.9!). 

Also, KP's career PER is 18.8....Dipo is 16.5. KP was a better and more proven (though younger) player. That youth of KP was part of the upside. Dipo is a 28 year old going on 29 who doesn't have any "unrealized upside" ahead of him.

Finally, comparing THJ to Dipo we have to note that Dipo has played ON BALL for most of his career while THJ is an OFF BALL spot up shooter. THJ is a known GOOD fit with Luka. And once more, the fit of Luka and Dipo is risky at best. THJ just needs to be the 14-15 PER, spot up shooter to work in DAL, he doesn't need to do anything else.

NOTE: I think it is "possible" that Dipo will have a great career ahead of him. I also think it is "possible" that he would fit well with Luka. But I think those possibilities are small and together even smaller. I consider trading for him to be VERY high risk.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by Kammrath - 10-19-2020, 01:01 PM