Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-19-2020, 11:43 AM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(10-19-2020, 10:36 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/tim_cato/status/1318206885347102720

Ok Cato, you're out of you're depth.

To be fair, he does repeatedly say his opinion makes no sense, and is borderline treasonous. But even still. His main justification of why he doesn't want Giannis on the Mavs is that they'd be boring...(in that it'd be too easy to win).

Haven't read the article but I sort of get the premise. I still think that team isn't a guaranteed championship team by any stretch, though they would be a for sure title contender. You have Luka who is unproven and Giannis who hasn't been able to get to the Finals + KP who's injured.

I don't think this would have been anything like say if Dirk somehow got LeBron in his prime. Championships that followed would have been mostly credited to LeBron not Dirk. As it is, Dirk gets full credit for his one championship.

With Luka I think Giannis is enough of a wildcard (as dominant as he is) I don't think it would negatively affect either of their legacies in any kind of negative way. And that team would be awesome and not boring in the slightest.

Imagining a Luka, Giannis PnR...Budenholzer didn't do much PnR w/Giannis for some reason. I expect that to change with a new coach. Mavs obv run a lot of PnR. Luka & KP didn't do much PnR initially to all of our surprise but then later in the season we saw a lot more and I thought it was awesome. Giannis would be such a threat as a roll-man. Our offense would score 150 points a game.

(10-19-2020, 12:09 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(10-19-2020, 12:02 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I think for sure the Bucks can make 1 or 2 impact moves at a minimum. Way too early to count them out. A CP3 move would be really big for them honestly and they have other options as well.

The thing is, I don't think CP3 puts them over the top. Paul had an incredible year last year. He raised the floor of a ragtag Thunder team and led them to the playoffs being the lone star. He was healthy for the first time in forever. 

And yet, once CP3 returned to the playoffs, he couldn't make the right play to close out the Rockets. They had several chances in game 7, and Paul either missed, turned it over, or just wasn't even involved in the play.

And you're telling me thats the savior for the Bucks? The problem with MIL is that Giannis is too one dimensional to be the engine of their offense in the playoffs. He's a transition monster and just mows down anyone in his path to the rim. In the playoffs, the Raptors and now the Heat showed that if you take away Giannis' drives, he can't create. How does Paul fix that issue? 

And does MIL want to take the chance on 35 year old CP3 to be healthy and suddenly become clutch in the playoffs in their last year to prove it to Giannis?

I think CP3 gives them something similar to what Kidd gave the Mavs way back when. Right now they have Bledsoe who is miscast really as a PG. Giannis initiates a lot of their offense which is a problem in the playoffs. Good teams know how to counter Giannis with 4 guys standing at the 3 point line. I think Bud being out is a good change, they need someone who can change up their offense. CP3 would be great for running their offense. He does so many things that just don't show up on the stat sheet, he is up there with LeBron in terms of BBIQ. I think it would be a perfect situation.

And for the Bucks they wouldn't be giving up that much (bc they don't have much to give). They aren't going to give up Middleton. Their issue would be outbidding other offers from the Sixers, Knicks or other teams who might want CP3. I really do think CP3 gets them to that next level.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by StepBackJay - 10-19-2020, 12:15 PM