Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-18-2020, 01:53 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Well, Cuban did reportedly say the Mav's are willing to eat salary to get a star.  Wall is salary and Beal is a star.  So, would you/would they:

Wall/Beal

for

THJ/Powell/Wright/Jackson and Lee signed for 1 year at $12mm

Does Washington want a total reboot.  This saves them $16mm in 20/21, but a ton over the lives of the contracts of Wall/Beal since Lee, Jackson and THJ are expiring.  If they were willing to let Bertans walk, they could pay VanVleet $20mm this summer and still have max room in 2021.  This is almost literally a nuclear winter type deal depending on the temperature in DC at Thanksgiving.

There is video out there showing Wall dunking and making spin moves.  Could you turn him into a one year reputation rehab like Chris Paul?  Would you deal him afterwards or keep him?  Should one team of the other get some draft compensation?  That is an unbelievable amount of money to take on for Dallas.  Swap 9 for 18 and 37 for 31?  Beal takes THJ's place in the lineup.  Wall could be on a minutes restriction and still get more minutes than Wright played.  He's so ball dominant that he'd probably work better as sixth man than starting next to Luka (poor Brunson).  We aren't counting on anything from Jackson and #9 could be used to draft a replacement for Powell (Tobin, Precious or Williams?).  Or, if you stay at 18, maybe Jalen Smith?

Do I think this is likely?  No.  But, it probably best embodies the spirit of what Charania wrote this week.  I could actually see Dallas do this as Wall isn't totally dead money.  Tons of teams are going to have cap room  in 2021 and someone is going to be left without a chair when the music stops.  If Wall could hold it together for just a little while, Dallas could sent him somewhere in a year and possibly get some value for him.  Washington would be historically, New Jersey Generals bad for a long time.  The question is do they want a total do-over or do they want to get real on-court value for Beal and struggle through 3 more years of Wall while doing so.
A couple things. I agree with cow that the pick swap makes it a bit too Mavs-sided. I also think there would be teams out there that would take on Wall's contract to get Beal so if that were on the table, it would have already been done. Pick swapping #18 for #37 maybe? Also, with Wall here, we could forgo any picks by adding Brunson to the trade to give him a shot at reaching his full potential which means Lee gets signed for a bit less.

I don't agree that there is no way Wall could have a resurgence as a 6th man who is given the green light to go hog wild when he is in the game. Not so much that the contract becomes an asset, but enough that another team sees him as a starter again and would trade for a potential bigger resurgence (like CP3 who was said at one point to be too overpaid to be tradeable).

Biggest question is do we get an extension with Beal when we trade for him or do we have him as a 1 year rental? Also, is he a good defender? I don't remember him being that much of a good one. If he isn't, those 2 other starters had better be RoCo good at least.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by ItsGoTime - 10-18-2020, 09:11 PM