Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-18-2020, 12:22 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Well given that he´ll be a free agent in six months, it kind of is. Only a stupid team would trade for him without some reassurances. Unless his trade value is so far in the toilet that even a rental is still beneficial.

Not true, it's called risk/reward. The fact that you are unlikely to get reassurances lowers his market value. It doesn't mean Oladipo doesn't have value as a player, it all has to do with his contract situation. Mavs are willing to give up picks on a rental with the idea that they can resign him once they get him on the team. If he doesn't pan out for one reason or another they have max cap space to get another guy.

For that reason though I don't think Mavs give up an asset like a Maxi or Curry in a Dipo move. THJ is already expiring and they are willing to lose picks which are hit or miss anyway.

(10-18-2020, 03:24 AM)omahen Wrote:
(10-18-2020, 01:01 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: "I'm a Pacer, man," 

Nice guys say nice things to the media. It doesn't mean they are true, it's business. Basically whole league and all Indiana beat writers are buzzing that he doesn't want to extend (his extension is less than max) and that he is interested for other destination next season. That's why it makes sense for Indy to trade him, unless they think they can go all the way with the current team - which I doubt. Their team is expensive and they probably can't afford his max anyway. 

Because he is allegedly not giving any assurances to anyone he will resign, his price is low.

I agree Indy has to trade him or they are just not doing good asset management. They could wait until the TDL if they want to but I think he gets traded this summer. They can still get a good player or pick in return if they trade him, versus letting him walk for nothing. The odds of him resigning are basically zero.

I think his price is lower, not necessarily low. He will net something good, just not anything amazing. He could certainly get a pick or two or a good player.

A couple random trade ideas I have seen for example:
- Bucks send Bledsoe + DiVincenzo for Dipo. Bucks have to make a big move or two this year to try to keep Giannis
- Suns send Oubre (expiring) + other stuff for Dipo
- Any big market team that isn't worried ab whether or not they can resign Dipo (GSW, Clippers, LAL, etc).

Thus I think THJ + a pick or two will be very competitive. Pacers could keep THJ or flip him for something else they need, he certainly has value.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by StepBackJay - 10-18-2020, 08:33 AM