Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
Just a guess based on al the reports, but I think the Mavs are not wanting to sit tight here and just hope for Giannis to fall in their laps. But I do think they are keeping an eye on it and going to maintain flexibility for him and others. 

I think the current plan would be to have roughly enough room to sign Giannis to a max on a flat cap while also having a 3rd starter in place already. 

It's not too hard to accomplish all that. Assuming a flat cap, you'd have somewhere around 32 mill to fill out the roster (still needing to account for minimum cap holds) if you trade everyone except DFS, Luka, KP. So 8 rookie minimums. You got 25-28 mill to fill out your roster depending on cap (and my rough math)

Obviously Kleber and Curry are great value guys and are easy movable after the fact if they are still on the team in free agency. Really Wright and Powell are the only problems.

I'd guess the Mavs would be looking to spend about 20-25 mill on that third starter spot and leave yourself room for a cheap player or 2 to slide in with the rest of the cap space. 

Theoretically you could trade for someone like a Jrue or Dipo and get them agree to take a bit less than max (or maybe they won't be getting max offers) and have them fit.

A trade for Lavine if possible is the optimal scenario IMO based on his salary and skillset. That allows you to likely keep one of Kleber and Curry, while getting your 3rd piece and then a pitch to Giannis or whoever in free agency.

Just an idea of how a trade might work for Lavine. 

Dallas gets Lavine, contracts needed for cap matching
Third Team gets Curry
Chicago gets Brunson, Third team's 1st rounder (20 or 21), 18 and 31 (Brunson's contract is tiny so he can go to 3rd team if needed)

Dallas potential cap matching contracts going out are Wright, Powell, Brunson, Curry and Jackson if needed.

It works with Philly as the 3rd team giving up Zhaire Smith to Chicago and Scott back to the Mavs with Powell/Wright and Jackson to Chicago. 

LAL as the third team with Wright and Curry to Lakers and Green to the Mavs makes alot of sense too. They need quality backup guard play and shooting. Lakers wound send pick 28 to Bulls. 

Of course you than could argue why Lakers or Philly doesn't trade for Lavine themselves if he's available.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by cjeter24 - 10-17-2020, 02:43 PM