Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
Here’s a great podcast episode in which Kevin O’Conner, who is fast climbing my list of go to basketball guys, says some really smart things about Dallas. The Mavs portion is brief but interesting, and starts at right around the 40 minute mark. 

One of the topics discussed is something I’ve tried to communicate around here for the past month about Porzingis. KP is GREAT, but he’s 100% finisher (shoot the shot, catch the lob, etc) and really isn’t all that able to create offense for himself or others. He really needs others to create for him, which is why he’s not on the same level as Davis, Jokic or Adebayo, imo. NOT saying you can’t win with him, because he is a scoring machine and has the ability to pull those dudes away from the basket, which might be the only way ANYONE is going to beat Davis for the next 7 years. But, the Mavs absolutely must find another guy who can CREATE. I’ve been calling this player a “secondary playmaker” for a while, but I suspect when people (including the MBT) say “3rd star” this is essentially what they’re envisioning. 

There’s also some talk about KP’s health, but that’s nothing new to anyone here.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/th...0494961549

In this next episode, at around the 49:30 mark, Jonathan Tjarks, a “national” Mavs fan talks about the same roster flaw from a different angle. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/th...0494762595

I’m telling you guys, they’re NOT trying to get Covington’s or OPJ’s right now. I don’t think they believe the roster is even ready for those guys to make a difference, and after watching the teams who advanced in the playoffs, I totally understand why and agree with them. Secondary playmaker. Secondary playmaker. Secondary playmaker. This is why we need to be thinking Oladipo, Holiday, Hayward, etc.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by KillerLeft - 10-17-2020, 02:23 AM