Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-16-2020, 11:56 AM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(10-16-2020, 11:05 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think they've had a plan for years that has been accelerated by Luka.

They definitely had a plan for a long time, it just didn't really work from 2012-2018 and wasted most of Dirk's late prime following the championship.

To be super clear, my beliefs align with yours pretty closely about what they're trying to accomplish NOW, but I definitely do not view this as an extension of the 2012-2018 plan, which was mind-numbingly moronic. 

I agree that they could've tanked BETTER than they did, but I DO think they abandoned "plan powder" in an effort to get the next building block through the draft, and it worked, so thank God. 

THIS is "plan get talent by any means necessary, which includes not killing our cap before Luka even signs his rookie max extension" imo. TOTALLY, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. This one makes sense. 

But, from the outsider's perspective, much of it looks the same. "Adding talent" should not be done incrementally at this stage. Starting with Juwon Howard, then moving on to Van Exel/Lafrentz, then to Jamison/Walker, then to Stackhouse, etc, etc, is how they ended up with only one championship to show for Dirk's career. If they have even a single brain to share among all of those in the front office, they are trying to do it differently this time around. THAT is what the space represents NOW, not the (hopeless) HOPE of landing a star to START the building process, like they were trying to do right after the title.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by KillerLeft - 10-16-2020, 12:06 PM