Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-14-2020, 11:38 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 11:20 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 10:21 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 10:17 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 10:02 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: One question: If we trade Wright/Jackson/18 for Schroder, do we get his rights in '21 ?

This way, we could clear cap space for a '21 FA and after we sign one (hopefully one of the better ones) we could use the rights to go over the cap and sign Schroder/THJ (if Cuban is willing to pay). Obviously there's a risk he leaves for a better offer while we chase those big fish.

Luka/KP/'21 FA/THJ/Schroder/DFS/Curry/Maxi is a pretty darn good 8-man rotation.

That was another name I considered.  Just not sure what OKC will do.  The answer is yes, you would have his Bird rights.  His cap hold in 21 would be $23 million.  You would have to forego those rights in order to sign a max guy and as you say, there is no real reason for Schroder to hang around waiting (see Chandler, Tyson).

Perhaps applies to the second go-round (I can't remember), but it doesn't have anything to do with 2011. He walked because we offered him a one-year deal in order to go after DWill and Dwight in 2012 instead of giving him the multiyear deal that he and all of the Mavs' fans except Fifteenth deserved in order for that team to defend their title - and for Dirk to have the best center fit in the entire league next to him for the next few years.

Wait, what? What am I getting accused of here?

Could someone back this bus up that's on top of me for no reason that I can reckon?

Am I wrong in remembering you as the ringleader of defending the '11 offseason? If I'm wrong, my humble apologies.

(10-14-2020, 11:28 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 11:20 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Could someone back this bus up that's on top of me for no reason that I can reckon?

[Image: tenor.gif]

(10-14-2020, 10:02 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: trade Wright/Jackson/18 for Schroder

This is one of the ONLY scenarios I support trading #18. Schroder checks a ton of boxes (if he has matured) that are needed on this team.

The only two '21-expiring guys I can think of whom I could stomach in trade for 18 are Schroder and OPJ. I think 18 is indeed necessary to get the latter, especially if they're pretending to try to get good this year.

Edit: add Lowry, Gobert, Fournier, and Oubre. JRich has a player option for '21. Hmmmm.....
Why? It´s still only a rental. You can´t pay Schroeder or OPJ on top of a great FA.

You basically trade Schroeder/THJ re-sign for 2021 All-Star and #18 pick. This makes no sense. What you want to do is either keep #18 or trade for somebody with a long-term contract below $10M/p.a.

That Schroeder would knock Brunson out of the rotation only makes it worse.

Rentals below All-Star level are a total no-go to me. I´d rather use the free agent market to sign a top player at a bargain prize.

I´m not  convinced Millsap will even require the full MLE. Maybe you can split the MLE between him and Kris Dunn. That´s a move, I´d love to see. Don´t overthink this off-season.

Doncic/Brunson/Wright
Dunn/THJ/Curry
DFS/18th pick/31st pick
Millsap/Kleber/Powell
Porzingis/WCS/Boban

Sorry Mr. Jackson, I am for real, didn´t mean to forget you again, I apologize... Big Grin

If your FO is good, they´ll know by March whether the team is good enough to compete this season and whether they have an honest shot at the superstar FAs. If not, then the deceased Spurs will surely find any offer for DeRozan or Aldridge enticing at that point.

So more than anything I don´t feel the timeline. No need to rush decisions right now.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by Mavs2019 - 10-16-2020, 08:07 AM