Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-14-2020, 11:25 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: I am rooting for Powell to surprise us all. If that happens then the Mavs will want to keep him. They love him. So I am just saying a) he's not tradable at this time and b) MBT don't want to trade him any time soon anyway.

I really think you've missed the big picture, dating all the way back to the signing. They were ALREADY planning for the summer of 2021 back THEN, which logically means that they signed the contract thinking they would (in their ideal scenario) move him at some point between the signing and this upcoming trade deadline. Yes, the injury makes that more difficult, but definitely not impossible. And yes, they ALSO believe that should they choose not to move him, he could play an important role here effectively. 

THIS NEXT PART IS NOT DIRECTED AT STEPBACK, AS HE'S ONE OF THE FEW THAT BUYS INTO THE 2021 SPACE IDEA

So, basically, what they did with Dwight Powell PROVES that they're approaching this cap space situation differently than the way that makes everyone crazy. They DID sign a player they thought could help them, but who they were confident they could move if/when they needed. Powell. Last year, they did the same thing with Curry, Wright and Boban. They would've done it with Kemba, too. They WILL do that again this off-season, if they find an opportunity they LIKE. 

It's not the strategy that you guys are disagreeing with, it's their evaluation of who would actually make a difference here. They DO think Powell is a good player. They think he's movable, AND they think he's a fit here if they don't need to move him. This, in a nutshell, is exactly what everyone has been screaming for them to do. YOU JUST DON'T LIKE THE SAME PLAYERS THEY DO.

(10-14-2020, 11:38 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 11:29 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think there's a better than 50% chance he's gone by the trade deadline

I am surprised you think this. I think WCS would have to develop into a certain and reliable 1st big off the bench at least for the Mavs to do this. OR if they drafted someone like Achiuwa. 

I would think there is only a 10% chance DP is gone by the deadline. 

Will be interesting to see it play out.

I thought they viewed Powell as expendable and on a value deal the day they signed the contract. I felt then and still feel like the summer of 2021 has been the plan this entire time. 

That doesn't mean that I don't think they value the player. I think they believed they were getting a value player on a value deal. Easy to move, easy to be excited about keeping him. The injury clouds things on both sides of that coin, but I'm not as worried as some, and I think we agree about that.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by KillerLeft - 10-14-2020, 11:40 AM