Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-14-2020, 10:41 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 10:29 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: The TDL is too soon imo for him to restore his value

Why would you think this? 

If DP comes out in the first 30 games of the season and looks like he is at least 90% of his athletic ability, then he has restored his value (which was not just athleticism, but the skill of finishing around the rim, the great locker room presence, the solid perimeter D, etc). It obviously may take longer to see him get his full confidence back, but it is 100% possible for him to show he has recovered most of his athleticism and therefore restore his value in the first few months.

It's a 2 year type of injury and I don't see him regaining that athleticism back soon or potentially ever. Mavs will give him every chance to return. I wish the Mavs were looking to dump Powell but we know they love him. For those reasons I have taken Powell off of any trade ideas for at least a year.

(10-14-2020, 11:22 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 11:05 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: 100%

Hell, I'm not convinced they couldn't move him right now, if they really wanted to. Didn't the Mavs sign Mathews coming off of an Achilles? 

The contract is not bad. For a team that envisions him as a starter, and trust me, some out there would (if healthy), he's pretty damn cheap! 

If you are GIVING a player like Powell away, someone will want to take him.

[Image: giphy.gif]

I am 100% convinced they could not move him. Matthews was a guy they thought would not be hampered by a decrease in athleticism (they were wrong). Powell's game relies a lot on athleticism. I think you both have rose-colored glasses. His contract is not cheap, people aren't going to picture damaged-goods Powell as a starter. Could he regain value eventually? Sure but certainly not now and best case scenario is that it takes a full year for him to look anything close to what he was.

If he is as great as you say he is, why has everyone on this board been eager to dump him for nothing?? We know why, he's overpaid and will unlikely regain that athleticism that made him effective. I am rooting for Powell to surprise us all. If that happens then the Mavs will want to keep him. They love him. So I am just saying a) he's not tradable at this time and b) MBT don't want to trade him any time soon anyway.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by StepBackJay - 10-14-2020, 11:25 AM