Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-14-2020, 10:29 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Seeing those Nuggets trade ideas scares me. They definitely have ammunition to make a big move. I worry ab the Mavs getting left behind bc we are keeping powder dry for 2021.

They're not "keeping powder dry" if they do this. We're not talking about letting the rotation players expire for nothing. We're talking about getting rid of one guy who's not in the rotation (Wright) and possibly another (Powell) whose injury makes his status iffy. This will likely not all happen next week. There's a good chance one or both start the season here. 

We're also talking about NOT trading for players on bad contracts who won't help very much. How is that different from any other year? Like, forget about 2021 - do you want average players with guaranteed money on the team? If they can get a GOOD player (better than the current rotation players) then they probably will, as they can simply shift into a mindset of moving whomever the new guy replaces. Find someone better than Kleber, with Wright, Powell or both outgoing? Fine! Great! Do it! Kleber's contract is AMAZING, and you could move it in a HEARTBEAT. That's the kind of deal you CAN make if/when Giannis (or anyone else) decides to come here. People will WANT Kleber on that contract. 

This strategy is nothing, and I mean absolutely NOTHING like the crap fish had us reading for the past 6-7 years, because they HAVE A GOOD TEAM. The downside is not "welp, we struck out, so I guess it's back to the drawing board." Chandler Parsons and Harrison Barnes were both extremely "meh" when they signed here, but that's because we all knew they needed a STAR. In this case, that's not absolutely necessary. Can you imagine adding a Chandler Parsons level guy to this core, but one who fits with your identity on and off the court? I mean, that's already established. Parsons was supposed to BE the identity back then (gross). THAT'S the fall back, and imo, it's going to be WAY easier to find the right fit on that type of player with the kind of options that this strategy brings, EVEN THROUGH TRADE. You no longer need TWO WAY MATCH to make a trade.

This strategy gives you way MORE options. It's not just about Giannis, though isn't that the dream? Dallas has NEVER had a player like Luka. He's better than Dirk, better than young Kidd, etc, etc. This is not a time for the Mavericks to limit their potenital by thinking small.

(10-14-2020, 10:41 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 10:29 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: The TDL is too soon imo for him to restore his value

Why would you think this? 

If DP comes out in the first 30 games of the season and looks like he is at least 90% of his athletic ability, then he has restored his value (which was not just athleticism, but the skill of finishing around the rim, the great locker room presence, the solid perimeter D, etc). It obviously may take longer to see him get his full confidence back, but it is 100% possible for him to show he has recovered most of his athleticism and therefore restore his value in the first few months.

100%

Hell, I'm not convinced they couldn't move him right now, if they really wanted to. Didn't the Mavs sign Mathews coming off of an Achilles? 

The contract is not bad. For a team that envisions him as a starter, and trust me, some out there would (if healthy), he's pretty damn cheap! 

If you are GIVING a player like Powell away, someone will want to take him.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by KillerLeft - 10-14-2020, 11:05 AM