Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-13-2020, 09:07 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(10-13-2020, 09:04 PM)loki Wrote: A Powell stretch-waive could come in handy if he can't be moved. That along with dumping Wright (I would probably until the TDL before moving) would put Dallas at $30M in cap room. Should be fairly easy to create a max slot from there without giving up Maxi.

Interesting and creative thought.  Let's ignore the will they or won't they part for a moment and just do the math.

I come up with $27.5mm in space and we need $32.7mm.  I'm carrying Powell's S/W at $4.4mm and putting the proper number of minimum holds in place including one to replace Wright.  Plus I'm paying 18 and 31 and keeping WCS's cap hold.  You only pick up $1.4mm by getting rid of Willie vs. a minimum slot and the value of being able to pay him much more later is pretty high IMHO.

So, we need to get rid of $5.2mm.  If Milwaukee is willing to take DFS you are there as you account for one less minimum slot in a trade than you do in an outright signing.  If it has to be an outright signing it is either DFS plus WCS or DFS plus Brunson or  DFW plus #18 or Curry or Maxi.  Bottom line is another significant player has to go which makes the cost THJ, Wright, Powell and something else of significance.  Not sure it isn't better to just give up Maxi.

In that scenario I see $79.3M committed and $29.8M in cap space. I think the difference in our numbers is due to the minimum cap holds. If the minimum scale stays flat, I believe that keeps it at only $898,310.

Code:
KP        $31.7
Doncic    $10.2
Kleber    $8.8
Curry     $8.2
DFS       $4.0
(Powell)  $4.4
#18       $3.0 (120% of rookie scale)
(WCS)     $3.0
Brunson   $1.8
#31       $1.5 (same as Roby deal)
(Min x3)  $2.7

Total     $79.3
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by loki - 10-13-2020, 11:18 PM