Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-13-2020, 08:46 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Re: Dan's last post: so in other words, it's incumbent on us to keep our picks so that we have trade assets in the future? Got it. Nail the picks, sign a vet min guy or two to help us out a bit, and otherwise stay the course. Wow, are we banking on internal improvement, or what? That's what I'm thinking this offseason looks like. I still hope we trade up. I will be surprised if this point if Wright is gone this offseason (you read that right), but I hope they can raise his trade value over the course of the season, because we're going to need his salary space. Once again, I am 100% out on packaging Wright and other stuff with #18 as the sweetener for an expirer unless it's a needle mover. That's the extreme version of Plan Powder to me - mortgage the draft to free up space as opposed to looking to actually improve the team.

I don’t know it if it is incumbent on us to keep the picks or not.  Just pointing out the math.  If someone could tell me if Giannis signs his max this off-season or gets traded now or at the TDL, I could give a better idea of what is incumbent on us.  Too many unknowns.  We don’t know the Mav’s plans.  We don’t know GA’s plans and we don’t know what Milwaukee will do if this or that happens.

I’m less enthusiastic about the value of #18 than you, but in terms of what qualifies as a “needle mover”, the needle mover is Giannis if this is indeed the path they decide to take.  I suspect you can move Wright for an expiring contract who also can’t play.  But, if you want an expiring contract who can contribute, you might have to sweeten the deal.  

I do see value in moving up because Milwaukee could certainly panic at the TDL and the better the pedigree of the player we draft, the more attractive we are as a trade partner.  We can’t match the offers of others, but we can at least provide some value if GA were to pull an AD and name us as his preferred team.

I’m starting to think similarly about Wright (or at least am open to it).  Giving up assets to move him hurts our flexibility.  The risk of not clearing the decks is you can’t clear the decks when you have to.  But, clearing them too early costs assets that might be needed for Plan B or Plan C.

(10-13-2020, 09:04 PM)loki Wrote: A Powell stretch-waive could come in handy if he can't be moved. That along with dumping Wright (I would probably until the TDL before moving) would put Dallas at $30M in cap room. Should be fairly easy to create a max slot from there without giving up Maxi.

Interesting and creative thought.  Let's ignore the will they or won't they part for a moment and just do the math.

I come up with $27.5mm in space and we need $32.7mm.  I'm carrying Powell's S/W at $4.4mm and putting the proper number of minimum holds in place including one to replace Wright.  Plus I'm paying 18 and 31 and keeping WCS's cap hold.  You only pick up $1.4mm by getting rid of Willie vs. a minimum slot and the value of being able to pay him much more later is pretty high IMHO.

So, we need to get rid of $5.2mm.  If Milwaukee is willing to take DFS you are there as you account for one less minimum slot in a trade than you do in an outright signing.  If it has to be an outright signing it is either DFS plus WCS or DFS plus Brunson or  DFW plus #18 or Curry or Maxi.  Bottom line is another significant player has to go which makes the cost THJ, Wright, Powell and something else of significance.  Not sure it isn't better to just give up Maxi.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by DanSchwartzgan - 10-13-2020, 09:07 PM