Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
This is from a roundtable discussion on The Ringer where they talk about several things.  This last section is about trades.  I thought it was instructive on three fronts.  1.  It names names that we talk about here a lot.  Hield goes for Horford.  Hield goes to the Lakers for Kuzma Plus.  Jrue for Dipo.  Jrue to Denver.  Beal to Denver.  2.  Everyone is trying to trade to IMPROVE.  We (collectively) think Hardaway’s expiring deal has value and 18 has value, but it doesn’t IMPROVE our proposed trade partners most of the time.  It just gives them cap relief and a lottery ticket.  Even Chicago fans think OPJ is going to get them IMPROVEMENT.  3.  Denver is scary.  Porter plus Harris can bring a much better return to a team that is already ahead of us.

What’s one made-up trade you desperately want to see?

[b]Mahoney: [/b]Chris Paul to the Bucks. I’m not yet sold on the trade logistics (Can Milwaukee really include enough to make this worth OKC’s while?), but the idea itself is pretty captivating. Paul has a way of agitating the dynamics of every playoff series he’s involved in. That’s welcome in an already competitive Eastern Conference field, and especially for a Bucks team that could use his half-court playmaking as much as his edge.

[b]Devine: [/b]Victor Oladipo and T.J. Leaf to New Orleans; Jrue Holiday to Indiana.Honestly, I don’t really care too much about the “who says no?” or on-court specifics of this one. It’d just be rad to see all three Holiday brothers play together.

[b]Verrier:[/b] Bradley Beal to the Nuggets for Michael Porter Jr. and Gary Harris. If Jamal Murray can approximate his I-can’t-feel-my-face playoff run next regular season, Denver shouldn’t wait for Porter to catch up. Beal-Murray-Jokic would instantly become the best Big Three in basketball, and vault the Nuggets from a fun young upstart to a serious title contender on the level of the Lakers and Clippers. 
[b]Dollinger: [/b]I want to see what Chris Paul can do with Giannis Antetokounmpo. Not just setting him up on the court, but instilling his edge and tenacity in the Bucks star. I’d also love to see that team play James Harden just for kicks[b].[/b]

[b]Tjarks: [/b]Al Horford for Buddy Hield. Philly gets a shooter who wants out of Sacramento while Sacramento gets a stretch 5 whom it can pair with Marvin Bagley III.

[b]Uggetti: [/b]Jrue Holiday and JJ Redick to the Nuggets for Gary Harris, Michael Porter Jr., and whatever else is needed to make it work. The Nuggets are legit and adding Holiday to that group would flat-out make them contenders. He would slot in perfectly next to both Jamal Murray and Nikola Jokic, immediately be the anchor to their struggling defense, and give them a better third option than what they currently have. Getting JJ in that deal would be the chef’s kiss: a knockdown shooter that I can already see working perfectly in tandem with Jokic. On the other side, we get MPJ and Zion on the same team, #blessed. 

[b]O’Shaughnessy:[/b] Paolo Uggetti to the baseball beat. Kidding. (Am I?) Second place is relieving Buddy Hield from his misery under Luke Walton in Sacramento by sending him directly south. Because Hield signed an extension, there’s no clean salary swap for him to become a Laker. Here’s a thorough explainer from [i]Bleacher Report[/i]’s Eric Pincus on how a poison pill contract works in a trade. The basics are this: It would probably take Kyle Kuzma and a third-party team. Rob Pelinka needs to pounce on situations like Hield’s—a disillusioned player the Lakers usually wouldn’t have the pieces to trade for becomes available at a reduced price because he wants to leave—because his options are otherwise limited.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Dec 1?) + Salary Chart | Season (Jan 18?) - by DanSchwartzgan - 10-13-2020, 08:28 PM