Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-09-2020, 09:08 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: The only way you can move Powell is if HE comes back and plays well again. And ironically, if he were to do that, I’m not sure they’d want to move him. 

They LIKE Powell. They DON’T think he’s overpaid (before the injury). They gave him the contract. 

Why does this have to be Palestine vs Israel, Coke vs Pepsi, etc? Can’t we just be excited that it looks like the team is getting TWO good players back?

This has probably been one of the better "Powell sucks.  Now he's actually good" conversations we've had around here.  My thoughts on a few things:

I'm glad to have WCS on the team.  I thought we needed another big
 when the season started.  I felt with KP's uncertain health and availability we were short a guy like Willie.   Unfortunately, the need proved to be real.  He would have helped in the playoffs (but if he had, he might not be opting in).  

I agree with your take on Powell.  I suspect he starts if fully healthy.  That means most "Big" minutes going to KP/Powell/Maxi/WCS and less DFS at the four.  I think there will be some, but more of a "death" lineup that a standard lineup.  Maxi, Powell and WCS are all good perimeter defenders and if WCS is hitting outside shots, you can mix and match any two of them at the big spots.  A year from now you have EB rights on WCS and can pay anything up to the MLE with a relatively small cap hold.  It is a good position to be in.  

The KP became good "because" Powell went down argument is garbage.  KP wasn't ready yet.  The problem with KP was KP, not Powell.  There is no rule that says KP has to go stand in the corner any time Powell is in the game.  That was a team choice.  Now that we've seen what offensively active KP looks like, we won't backtrack.  That doesn't mean Powell can't be a really good dive cut guy and secondary PnR target and be super effective. 

This still leaves us with a major fork in the road regarding 2021...to Powder or not to Powder.

At $109mm for the 21 cap, Dallas can have its picks and the WCS cap hold and a max slot if it lets THJ walk, gets rid of Wright for no returning cap space and gets rid of one more player from among Curry, Kleber and Powell.  They can use the MLE, but only on a one year deal.  Another way of looking at Plan Powder is you are trading THJ, Kleber (or Curry), the MLE and Wright for FA "X".  When you start to pile up the cost of Plan Powder in a $109mm world, it gets pretty expensive.  

Here's my question.  If we are willing to trade Fan Fav's like Curry in Kleber in 2021 (which is necessary if you want a seat at the grown up table of free agency), then why are they untouchable this off season?  I realize no one in the Giannis and AD and Jrue range are available this off-season.  But, if we can get 75% of Giannis and give up much less than what we'd give for him (and keep our fan favorites and use the MLE now), should we go ahead and go for it?

Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by DanSchwartzgan - 10-10-2020, 08:00 AM