Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-07-2020, 12:58 AM)Mapka Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 11:20 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: I don't get the hate on Buddy's contract. 

Your shooting guys consistently get in the 15-20 mill range. And Buddy is elite in that skillset. Next year at 24 mill is a bit expensive. But 22, 20 and 18 the next few years is perfectly reasonable. And by the end of the deal, it's a big time bargain if the cap is on the rise again. 

Buddy is a much better offensive version of THJ. They both are similarly great spot up shooters. But THJ is in the 30th percentile shooting off screens compared to the near 80th percentile for buddy. 

If you like THJ fit here long term, Buddy is an even better fit and you are likely going to have to pay THJ handsomely as well if he repeats his season. 

If you'd say you just want to get rid of THJ type guy completely, I can buy that too. 

I personally loved the way the offense looked with shooters all around Luka. I think getting an elite shooter is a big time upgrade for the offensive potential.

I don't hope we pay THJ near 24 millions. We raged about him getting less than Buddys "bargain".

As far as fit in the playing style goes I like what I saw from THJ.
He wasn't afraid to pull the trigger. That's what you will probably get from Buddy too. Buddy adds some motor on the offence and less trying on the defence.

THJ also is a stable for our locker room, a real pro. You won't get this from Buddy. 

In the end you gamble about Buddy being a good enough 3rd player or THJ keeping up his play.

I don't remember anyone raging about THJ's contract other than this guy is awful and we have to keep him for 3 more years lol. But now he's good and his contract isn't a problem for him being a good player again. 

I don't think Buddy is a problem. The kings are an absolute cluster and have been. I mean you can come up with so many examples. Frustration unfortunately comes out eventually. 

I think they are basically the same level of defender. The point of Buddy is if you buy into THJ being a long term fit and want a better version of him. I actually do. I'd like to resign THJ if possible.

I don't understand the OPJ love around here. I saw some talk about having to trade 18 for him? I'd think if that was really a thing, he'd be opting out of his deal. 

He's a 3rd or 4th piece with defensive potential way overpaid. About to be a free agent next summer. Sure I'd be interested in him next summer. But he's not a difference maker with his current play and I'm not wasting assets to eat contracts and take a gamble on a guy.

also I don't think you need to dump Wright. He's a really solid backup guard that's pretty efficient. He's just a really bad fit here with Luka even tho his stats are pretty solid. Point is, I think you'll have some interest in him.

I for one could see a Green for Wright swap or something similar. He's a PG and not much of an offball guard like we need him to be.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by cjeter24 - 10-09-2020, 10:07 PM