Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(10-09-2020, 11:48 AM)fifteenth Wrote: I'm curious about how the KP surge post Powell injury impacts the Mavs thinking and how it impacts what we, regardless of what the Mavs think, feel like is a best case lineup scenario. Does post-DP-injury KP suggest that KP and Powell should not play together much? Does post-DP-injury KP suggest that the one big model is the way to go for our starting lineup, and that Powell and Maxi should be our two big bench? And also does KP's injury, combined with all of the above, suggest that KP's minutes should be kept under 30 or so and that KP and DP should basically be a platoon, with each having a chance to play with Luka? That's an expensive platoon, and may limit each player's minutes too much, so maybe the platoon wouldn't be a total platoon. Maybe they just limit their minutes together with something like KP 30, DP 28, where they just play 4 minutes together. 

The thing that is a possible linchpin in finding answers to these questions, is the answer to another question. Can KP and DP learn to play together such that KP is not relegated to spot up shooter status, while the primary action of the offense revolves around the Luka/DP pnr? Can the Mavs build an offense, with KP and DP on the floor at the same time, that utilizes everyone's strengths, and gives KP a large enough role? 

I do not know the answers to any of these questions, but I think that what actually happens depends on how these questions get answered in training camp and on the court in real games.

Man, this is quality fifteenth right here. These are all the right questions. This is why I've said from the beginning that I think KP (at a max contract, especially) is a center. 

Personally, NO, I don't think KP can become an initiator with Powell (or WCS) on the floor. Unless, of course, you stick Luka in the corner and run 4-5 pick and rolls (lolololololol). 

One of the main reasons the Luka/Powell thing worked so well is because the Mavs have maybe THE best stretch big in the league on the floor with them. That's GREAT and all, but at that point you're using your most highly paid player in a role that Kleber could handle just fine. You really can't run the 2 man stuff as well with Luka/KP while Powell is out there, because he's just not a serious shooting threat. Nor is WCS, regardless of how many instagram stories we see of him shooting 3's. That, to me, is a crossroads. Ditto for the idea I presented a few weeks back about KP developing a Dirk like high post iso game. Even if he could do it, having Powell out there makes it tougher, spacing wise. 

Personally, I would be all in on KP at the 5 all the time, and I'd be looking for multiple swiss army knife types, like Kleber, to ensure that I could use my 2nd max level player any way I damn well pleased while he was in the game. 

THIS is why I had such an immediately visceral reaction to the Harrell rumors.

(10-09-2020, 11:56 AM)omahen Wrote:
(10-09-2020, 11:48 AM)fifteenth Wrote: The thing that is a possible linchpin in finding answers to these questions, is the answer to another question. Can KP and DP learn to play together such that KP is not relegated to spot up shooter status, while the primary action of the offense revolves around the Luka/DP pnr? Can the Mavs build an offense, with KP and DP on the floor at the same time, that utilizes everyone's strengths, and gives KP a large enough role?

I think answer to all of these questions has to be yes. Mavs will mix a little bit of everything. We have to take into account KP was generally bad in the first part of the season, which is of course logical coming from his injury. I think too much is given into that playing with Powell was the most important factor for that.

There is this perspective, too, which I can't say is unfounded. At the end of the day, I trust Carlisle to figure it out. 

My main point is that the team's most expensive player HAS to be more than the best floor spacer in basketball. I believe that.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 10-09-2020, 11:58 AM